Managing Group Membership and Permissions
This page contains instructions used to change membership in distribution lists (groups), which can be used for email distribution and/or controlling permissions (access) to the following:
- Middfiles server folders (including Classes and Orgs)
- Course Hub and related curricular resources
- Shared documents in OneDrive and Google Drive
- Certain shared mailboxes
- Certain restricted internal web resources
Group membership for distribution lists is managed using the Exchange Admin Center. Use the following instructions to add or remove someone from a distribution group that is visible in the Global Address Book.
Locate & Edit a Group
- Start a browser and log into the Exchange Admin Center at http://go.middlebury.edu/ecp with your Middlebury username and password.
- Click the Search icon (magnifying glass) above the list of groups.
- Enter the part or all of the group name in the search window, then press Enter or Return to view possible matches.
Please note that access to folders in middfiles\orgs is through a list prefixed by DFS-. For instance, to control access to the folder middfiles\orgs\ITS\Workgroups you would look for a list named DFS-ITS-Workgroups.
- Click once to select the group you would like to edit; ownership information is shown in right-hand pane.
- All groups are visible to you, but you may only edit ones you own.
- Groups owned by Administrator or Betty White are automatically generated and maintained.
- Double-click the group name to display the group properties in a new window.
- Click the membership link to display current group members (if any).
- Click the + (add) or — (remove) icons to change group membership, as described below.
- Note: For classes, an instructor can adjust only the membership of the "audits" and "instructors" groups. The "students" group populates automatically with course registration info from the Banner system.
To Remove a Member
- Click to select the desired person from the membership list.
- Click the — (remove) icon.
- Repeat for each person you want to remove from the group.
- Click the Save button when you are finished.
To Add a Member
- Click the + (add) icon. A new dialog box opens.
- Click the magnifying glass. A search field appears.
- Click in the search field, then type the last name of the person you want to find. Press the Enter or Return key to perform the search.
- Click to select the person you want from the filtered list presented.
- Click OK.
- Repeat for each person you want to add to the list.
- Click Save.
- Please note the difference between shared mailboxes (e.g. email@example.com - a single mailbox that several people look at) and distribution lists, which can be used to send email to many people at once (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org - a list of current undergraduate students). These distribution lists can also be used as the list of people who have access to something, including a shared mailbox, a folder, etc. This latter use is the focus of this page.