Microsoft Office for Personal Computers
Important Details about MS Office 365
- At present, only students on the Middlebury campus have been granted access to download and install Microsoft Office 365 applications via our portal. We are working to extend this benefit more broadly in the future. Faculty/staff needing MS Office for home use should refer to the FAQ below.
- This version of Microsoft Office is only for use on personally-owned computers. Do not use this installer on College-owned computers.
- Full MS Office 365 functionality, such as OneDrive storage and access to web-based versions of applications, is not available at this time. Additional features will be phased in.
Q: Who is covered by Middlebury College's Microsoft Office license?
A: Currently employed Middlebury undergraduate faculty and staff, Midd undergraduate students, and currently employed faculty and staff at MIIS are eligible.
Our license does not cover installs for academic programs such as the summer Language Schools, Bread Loaf School of English, or Off-Campus Study. It also does not cover emeriti, alumni, retirees, contract hires, nor MIIS students.
Q: I'm a Middlebury undergraduate faculty or staff member. Can I get MS Office now or do I have to wait until the free version is available to fac/staff?
A: You do not have to wait. Submit a software installation ticket to the Helpdesk with your request. We can provide you with the needed web site and code so you can purchase Office 2016 for home use.
Q: I received a server/DB error when I tried to log in. What does this mean?
A: This generic error means your email account is not authorized to use the Microsoft portal. Please contact the Technology HelpDesk if you feel this is an error.
Q: I'm confused. Do I want Office 365 for home or business?
A: Business. The links above will take you to the proper installation page. Our license is considered business/education.
Q: What version of Office will I get?
A: Macs running 10.9 (Mavericks) or below will receive Office 2011. Macs running Yosemite (10.10) or above will receive Office 2016.
Windows users will see a page with two similar sections: "Install the latest version of Office" and "Try the next version of Office." The first section offers Office 2013, the lower one offers Office 2016.
Q: I have a Windows computer. How do I know if I want the 32- or 64-bit installer?
A: Consult Microsoft's Choose the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Office to help you decide.
Obtain the Microsoft Office 365 Installer
To obtain the installer click the appropriate link below to review important information, then follow the steps.
When the Office 365 portal asks you to sign in, enter your Middlebury College email address. You will be redirected to a Midd-branded log in page where you will need to provide your email password.
- Macs running Mavericks (10.9) or below will receive MS Office 2011; be sure to run Office updates available through the Help menu of any Office program.
- You may need to save documents in a lower version of Office (using Save As) if you need to share files with others.