Middfiles - Contents and Structure
Middfiles is a combination of several different folders that used to reside on separate servers. These are the folders most commonly used:
- classes is used by faculty and students for file sharing. Folders for classes are grouped under folders by semester, such as Spring12. For more info, see Using Course Folders on the Classes Server.
- orgs is used for departmental file sharing and storage. Access is restricted by the "owner" of the folder; thus, it is a good way to share files that need to be accessed, for example, by members of a particular department or project team but not the wider College community. For more info, see Managing Group Membership and Permissions.
- Software contains software that ITS makes available to members of the College community. There are two main subfolders:
- Public software can be downloaded and installed by anyone with a Middlebury College account.
- Regulated software is restricted to certain individuals, based on our license agreement with the vendor. You can only see software that you have been specifically granted access to by the Helpdesk. If you have been approved to use software in this folder, open the subfolder with the program you need and there will usually be instructions there for how to install it. You may need to download the software first (drag the program folder to your desktop) before installing it.