Migrate From Segue
Segue will be decommissioned on August 31st, 2012. Before that date all sites in Segue that you wish to preserve must be archived or migrated to another system. All data still in Segue on August 31st, 2012 will be deleted.
Reminders and Redirects
Through 2012 automated reminder emails will be sent to the owners of sites that have their migration status still marked as Incomplete. After you have successfully archived or migrated your site[s], mark this status in the Segue portal to avoid receiving reminders about sites that you have already dealt with.
If you mark a site as Migrated provide the URL where the content now lives, visitors to your Segue site will automatically be redirected to its new location.
For sites that are no longer being actively maintained, the best option is to archive them to static HTML files. This will allow you to access the full content of your site from anywhere and isn't reliant on any accounts or servers.
To archive a Segue site as HTML, do the following:
For sites that are being actively maintained, the best option is to migrate them to a new content management system where you can continue to add to or edit your site.
Please note that because the destination system is very different from Segue, the will by necessity be a loss of fidelity. For example, theme settings and layout will not migrate to any other system.
Migrating sites to WordPress
WordPress is the platform we support that is most similar to Segue in terms of how content is structured. Many sites can be migrated to WordPress without too much loss of quality. Sites that make heavy use of complex layouts and sidebars may find that the result in WordPress is quite different than it was in Segue.
To migrate a Segue site to WordPress, do the following:
- Go to Segue and log in.
- Next to each site that you are the owner of, you should see an export for WordPress link.
- Click on the export for WordPress link and save the resulting xml file to your desktop.
- Go to WordPress and log in.
- Create a new empty site with whatever name you like.
- Delete the Hello World! post from the new site.
- In the dashboard for your new site, go to the Tools » Import menu and choose WordPress from the list of options.
- In the Import WordPress dialog that comes up, choose to upload the xml file you saved to your desktop.
- Press the Upload file and import button
- In the dialog that comes up, set the author mapping for your content and be sure to check the Download and import file attachments box.
- Press the Submit button.
Migrating sites to Moodle
Because Moodle is structured very differently from Segue, there is no way to automatically import an entire Segue site into Moodle. To migrate a Segue site to Moodle, you will need to copy-paste text content from your Segue site into resources or activities as appropriate.
If you have many files in your Segue site that you wish to migrate to Moodle, you can do so with the following steps: