Migrate From Segue
Segue will be decommissioned on August 31st, 2012. Before that date all sites in Segue that you wish to preserve must be archived or migrated to another system. All data still in Segue on August 31st, 2012 will be deleted.
Assistance is available for migrating Segue sites from your local liaison and through LIS workshops & worksessions. Check go/lisworkshops for workshops available or contact your liaison at go/liaisons.
Reminders and Redirects
Through 2012 automated reminder emails will be sent to the owners of sites that have their migration status still marked as Incomplete. After you have successfully archived or migrated your site[s], mark this status in the Segue portal to avoid receiving reminders about sites that you have already dealt with.
If you mark a site as Migrated provide the URL where the content now lives, visitors to your Segue site will automatically be redirected to its new location. If you no longer need the information on the site, you can mark it as "No Longer Needed" to stop receiving e-mails.
For sites that are no longer being actively maintained, the best option is to archive them to static HTML files. This will allow you to access the full content of your site from anywhere and isn't reliant on any accounts or servers. Use this option if:
- You no longer make changes to a site, but want to refer to its contents.
- You are leaving Middlebury and will no longer have access to Middlebury-run systems.
- You would like a backup of your site "just in case".
To download a Segue site as an HTML archive:
- Go to Segue and log in.
- Next to each site that you are the owner of, you should see an export HTML archive link.
- Click on the export HTML archive link and save the resulting zip file to your desktop.
To view the archived site you have downloaded:
- Unzip the zip file
- Open the index.html file contained within it using a web browser.
For sites that are being actively maintained, the best option is to migrate them to a new content management system where you can continue to add to or edit your site.
Please note that because the destination system is very different from Segue, the will by necessity be a loss of fidelity. For example, theme settings and layout will not migrate to any other system.
Migrating sites to WordPress
WordPress is the platform we support that is most similar to Segue in terms of how content is structured. Many sites can be migrated to WordPress without too much loss of quality. Sites that make heavy use of complex layouts and sidebars may find that the result in WordPress is quite different than it was in Segue.
To migrate a Segue site to WordPress, do the following:
- Go to Segue and log in.
- Next to each site that you are the owner of, you should see an export for WordPress link.
- Click on the export for WordPress link and save the resulting xml file to your desktop.
- Go to WordPress and log in.
- Create a new empty site with whatever name you like.
- Delete the Hello World! post from the new site.
- Go to Users > Add New and add all users you want to be able to add to or edit your site (including all users who were authors/editors on the original Segue site)
- In the dashboard for your new site, go to the Tools » Import menu and choose WordPress from the list of options.
- In the Import WordPress dialog that comes up, choose to upload the xml file you saved to your desktop (or your "downloads" folder if your computer is set to this as its default).
- Press the Upload file and import button
- In the dialog that comes up, set the author mapping for your content and be sure to check the Download and import file attachments box.
- Press the Submit button.
After your Segue site has been imported into WordPress you can specify who can access your site, see: Settings > Privacy.
Migrating sites to Moodle
- Export files from Segue
- Go to Segue and log in.
- Next to each site that you are the owner of, you should see an export files link.
- Click on the export files link and save the resulting zip file to your desktop.
- Import files into Moodle
- Go to Moodle and log in.
- Go to your Moodle site.
- Within the "Administration" panel (usually in the left sidebar), click on the "Files" link
- Click on the "Upload a file" button.
- Click on the "Choose file" button.
- Browse to the zip file you downloaded from Segue in the above steps and select it.
- Click on the "Upload this file" button. *Note that the zip file size must be 64 MB or smaller. If you have a zip file larger than 64 MB, unzip it on your computer and then create several smaller zip files to upload.
- Locate the zip file in your Moodle site file listing and click on the "unzip" link
- Click on the "Ok" button after the zip file has been unzipped.
- Re-link files in Moodle
- Your files are now available on Moodle, but you will need to link the files to resources or activities.
- Copy & paste text content from Segue To Moodle's resources or activities as appropriate.
- Your site's text content is NOT transfered in the export. You will need to copy and paste content from your Segue site or the HTML export in order to have it available in Moodle.
For more information on setting up & working with your Moodle site please see Moodle documentation, take a lesson on Lynda (for Moodle version 1.9), take a workshop go/lisworkshops, or contact your liaison.