Monthly Classification Update
Monthly Classification/Cataloging Update from FDLP.
Items that have classification or cataloging updates can be found on WebTech Notes. We need to check these regularly- once a month is good- and update our catalog.
1. Go to the FDLP desktop www.fdlp.gov// . From the Home page top bar, go to Collection Management- Collection Maintenance- WebTech Notes.
2. At the bottom right of the Web Tech page, change the Display box from 10 to 35 items per page
3. Go to Advanced Search at the top of the page. Select the range of time you want. For category, select Classification/cataloging update. Hit Search.
4.On the Results page, for primary sort, select Category and Asc. For secondary sort, select Item No. and Asc. Hit Go. You will only be concerned with items in the first category- CC. They will be at the front of the list.
5.Go through the Item Number column. Check the boxes to the left of the titles that we select item numbers for. When you get to the bottom of the page, on the left-hand side, select Item options- view. This will open boxes for each item with a description of what has changed in the Notes line.
6. Print out that group of selections.
7. Go back to the results page using the back arrow on your browser bar. From the bottom of the page hit next page. Go through the steps 5-7 until you have done all the titles in the CC category.
Look up these records in Millenium and see if you need to make changes in the bib and item records. Usually there is a class (sudoc) change. You may need to add a Z field to the 086 line- this shows that the sudoc has changed.
086 0 Y 4.T 19/4:T 19/148
086 0 Y 4.T 19/4:L 52/2/2007-2008|zY 4.T 19/4:T 19/148
You do this by putting your curser at the front of the line, right in front of the call number, key “shift+backslash”, key Z, then add the correct call number before the Z. (If you have trouble with this please ask the catalogers, they can show you how to do it.) Make sure the call number is corrected on the item record. Sometimes the bib record has already been corrected. If this is for an actual book or microfiche, you need to retrieve the item from the shelf and correct the call number.