|Literature on music |
|Instruction & study |
|bF5 2003 |
(created orig. for stage/theatrical productions)
(created orig. on film)
|bM3 1993 |
(filmed dance performances)
(filmed as orchestral works--no dance)
Class & cutter like the score
Example: Solo tribute (performer Keith Jarrett)
Miscellaneous Call Number Information
- Do not add D or V after date.
- If we have several versions of same musical work, keep same call number; differentiate by year. If duplicate years, add b, c,d, etc. after year to differentiate.
- For example, search Midcat for M1500.P97 T7 [Tosca]
Additional Cataloging Guidelines
- Always trace directors, producers, & screenwriters even if they're in 508 and not in 245 $c
- 508 vs. 511
- Narrators: put in 511, not 508
- 508 Editor, John Smith
- 511 John Smith, tuba
- 500 note about accompanying materials: format
- Program [etc] in English and German (12 p. : ill.) inserted in container
- Title main entry (change 100/240 to 700 12 with $t if necessary)
- Use uniform title for 700 $t (e.g., Nozze di Figaro, not Marriage of Figaro)
- Trace writer/librettist, producer, directors (usually 2 directors: stage and TV)
- 511: generally include all performers in this field; but only trace the most important (e.g., names that are on box/container)
- 130: rarely used in operas - mainly for documentaries with titles that have already been used for different items
- Add 650 Operas
- Add 655 Operas
- Do not add 650 Musicals or 655 Musical films.
- Title main entry
- Add 650 Ballets
- Add 655 Ballets
- 700: Composer & $t
- 700 12 Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilich,|d1840- 1893.|tLebedinoe ozero.
- 730: Title of choreographed dance (not necessarily the uniform title)
- 730 02 Swan lake (Choreographic work : Ivanov and Petipa)
- Catalog similar to operas: [#operas see above ]
- Call numbers: usually M1500 or M1527 ([#musicals see above])
- Add 650 Musicals
- Add 655 Musical films
Popular/Rock Music Videos
- Musical groups (generally): give names of performers in 511, but trace only the musical group
- Add 650 Popular music (or Rock music)$x [Country] &y [date]
- Add 655 Concert films or Rock concert films (if appropriate)
- Add 655 Music videos:
- For MTV-type videos, either singles or collections (Occasionally, a music video may include portions of a filmed performance. Do not add Concert films to the record in this situation)
- Even if the main feature is a straightforward film of the performance, add the 655 Music videos if it includes 1 or more complete MTV-like music videos (e.g., as a bonus feature)
- Add 655 xxx language films if music/soundtrack is in a language other than English.
Performances of Musical Works
(1 or more composers)
- Title main entry
- 518: always add date of performance
- Recorded on Aug. 20, 1997, Radio City Music Hall, New York, N.Y.
- Filmed at a production on . . .
- 700: composer & $t
- 700 12 Nielsen, Carl,|d1865-1931.|tSymphonies.
Is the video a music performance (needs 'performance headings'), or is it about the music -- or both?
Performance heading examples (650, not 655, except for Opera, Ballet, Zarzuela -- add both 650 & 655 for those)
- Piano music (jazz)
- Popular music
- Add $x History and criticism.
- Example: 650 0 Reggae--History and criticism
- Do not add a music genre without $x unless these live performances are substantial. See record b1818926x (Miles Davis) for an example of a documentary that has both substantial documentary and substantial live performance to merit both kinds of headings.
Genre headings (655) : Add when appropriate
- Concert films
- Rock concert films
- Musical films
- Music videos
- Documentary films [etc.]
- $v Drama (operas/ballet)
- $v Songs and music (for non-dramatic work)
- Item Location: mudd
- I-type: 11 (DVD)
- Call # : post-it on front of container
- Green slip: Music
- Online Film Dictionary (film terms in various languages)
- General [/academics/lis/about/library_info/departments/collection_management_division/catalog_department/formats/videos/docs_local/videos_rev.htm video quickguide ]