NetStorage is a utility that presents a web-based interface to our Middfiles servers. If you need quick access to a file from off-campus or a different computer than you normally use, this is the way to go. However, it is quite limited and slow, so for everyday use, it's best to use one of the other methods on the main Middfiles page.
- NetStorage works on any type of computer and with all standard browsers, so you can use it to access your files even if you are having technical problems connecting to Middfiles.
- NetStorage works the same on- and off-campus, with no extra steps.
- The interface is cumbersome — you have to wait for pages to load to navigate through your folders, and you can only upload or download a single file at a time. You can't work on files directly on the network, drag and drop files and folders, or open files that depend on other files (like web pages and software installers).
- The speed of file transfers is limited compared to VPN access.
- There is a maximum size limit on file transfers.
To Open NetStorage
- Open your favorite internet browser.
- In the address bar, type in go.middlebury.edu/netstorage. (If you're on campus, you can shorten this to just go/netstorage.) Press enter to load the webpage.
- A login window will appear asking for your username and password. Enter these in the same way as if you were entering them in to access Webmail.
- (Note that your username does NOT include the "@middlebury.edu" part of your email address.)
- Click .
- The NetStorage window will open. By default it looks something like this:
- Use the + signs and folder names in the left pane to jump to different folders that you have access to.
- Double-click on any folder in the right pane to go inside that folder.
- Use the Download/Upload menu to download a file to your computer
- Single-click on any folder or file to select it then use the Download/Upload menu to download a file to your computer.
- You can use the mini menu bar inside the Netstorage screen (not your browser menu bar!) to rename, delete, copy, or cut and paste anything that you currently have selected.
- Use the Download/Upload menu to upload files into the folder displayed in the right-hand pane.