FYS Information Center in Library
Event Date: Wed, Sept. 3rd
Brochure: "Yellow Pages" of LIS Services
Mack, Jeff, Judy, Jean, Joseph, & Mike R
- Brochure of student-centric information about LIS services
- Developing a "yellow pages" prototype that will consist of listings and ads
- Small boxed ads for all the main entries--such as the circ, info, help desks--may be a mix of text, cartoons, photos, graphics, etc.
- Yellow Pages entries and listings that are planned for the brochure
- Additional recommendations are welcome!
Research & Instruction Section
Mack & Hans
- I’ve been doing some research in preparation to design these cards. Even if they had the correct sizes (only available in business card and post card sizes) the AVERY precut option is prohibitively expensive.
- I have checked with Repro and if I design them 8 up (making the cards 2.75 X 4.25) on an 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper we can get 4 colour for about .86 cents a sheet (minimum of 50 sheets to get this price) printed on front and back. There is also a PDF charge and the charge for cutting. My guesstimate is about 60 – 75$ for the 50 sheets.
- With 8 cards per sheet, that will give us 400 cards.
- I have the initial grid laid out and I will continue developing a prototype sans detailed info. The next step is to develop the list of folks who will have cards. This will determine the next step (getting pictures and copy on all of them).
- Mack has the FYSE librarian list, but still needs to know which tech people will need cards.
Music: Joe A. & Jean
- Joe will check with acoustic groups to see who's available for this
Mack & Joe
Research Resources Video
Bryan, Carrie, Joy, & Richard
We met on 7/31/2008 and did our timeline and "storyboard". We consulted with Joe A. and he gave us advice and signed off on the plan.
- Joy: iMovie
- Carrie: title, captions, subtitles, intertitles, credits, etc.
- Bryan: Photo montage of librarians (BBR)
- Richard and Carrie: Screenshots for resource stuff
- All: editing final with text, sound.
- As per Joseph W's advice, Richard contacted Helpdesk to reserve 4 iMacs to place in various parts of the library to show continuous loops of video.
- Joe A. created a folder on Muskrat as a holding place for all our work. Richard has added screenshots to use in iMovie.
- We've reviewed a first draft and now we're working on revisions to individual slides.
- Our proposed locations for the 4 iMacs which will display this video are: atrium (even if it's just on or near the Info Desk), ref desk, upper level (front and back reading rooms).
Video finished (?) and ready for Scott Witt to create a continuous loop. The Quicktime version is sharper than the iMovie version, so we may end up with that on the screens. You can view the video on Muskrat in the ResearchResourcesVideo folder.
- Joseph W. and Richard R. determined exactly where the monitors will be located. Joseph agreed to place the four pedestals for them on the morning of Friday the 29th, giving the Helpdesk the rest of the day Friday and all day Tuesday to install the monitors.
Thanks to Scott Witt, finished video is now on DVDs in looped version! 1 DVD is with Carrie for use at Armstrong early in the semester. 5 DVDs (4 plus an extra?) are with Bryan for use at Main Lib during orientation event.
Special Collections Video
Signage in Library
Jeff, Brenda, Joseph?
Jeff, Judy, Mike R., Mack, Joseph, & Jean met on Aug 8 to plan building brochure for Orientation. Idea of having a "yellow pages" approach, listing LIS services and where/how to find them.
Joseph is making signs for the tables for each of the campus offices.
Joseph and Jeff are intending to work on large banner-like signs for each of the building service points... if anyone has time to help with this they're welcome to.
Map of LIS Events
Jeff, Brenda, Jean, Joseph?
Joseph is producing a large-scale map to be placed just inside the front door. It will show the location of the permanent in-building service points and the location of the individual tables that campus-wide offices will be occupying for the day. (Not sure if that's what is mean by "Map of LIS Events"???)
Puzzle, Competition, Treasure Hunt, Library Tour
Brenda - Handout with 6 locations for students to visit and find the answer to a question posed on the brochure. Ideas for the "prize" for each student who does this include a coupon for a discount or free coffee or tea at 51 Main Street (Brenda will email BDW to see if feasible) or if not feasible, free ice cream (if funding available - possible location: Bittner Terrace).
Jean & Judy
- Katy Smith-Abbott likes our ideas. We'll be proceeding independent of her plans, since none of our locations interfere with her reserved spaces. We'll make our own signs and map--and, possibly, place a flier of some sort in the commons.
- Katy says there will be a large banner out in front of the library--on the lawn--announcing the event that day
- Joseph W. has met with Katy Abbot and Lisa Ayers and worked out the details of the set up for those from outside the building.
- Three tables will be set up in Harman for three local banks that will also be using the group study rooms.
- Twelve tables will be set up on the Main Lvl. (Six tables between the Info and Circ and another six tables in front of the Fac.Auth. collection.) LIB240A will be used as a breakout space to provide privacy for offices like the Counseling Service if needed. The chairs and side tables in front of the Fac.Auth collection will be stored in the study carrel suites opposite 240B
- The Helpdesk will have its usual set up with one banquet table coming out from the north side of the pillar and one smaller table coming out from the west side.
Monday, 8/18/08, 9:30, Library 105