Placement Exam Instructions
All applicants taking the LS assessment will have a set of instructions that they were sent via email. They look similar to those listed below. Instructions
We recommend using the latest version of one of the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer
For Middlebury College Students, Faculty and Staff
If you are a current Middlebury undergraduate student and/or have an active Middlebury College account:
- Browse to http://moodle.middlebury.edu/mod/quiz/view.php<ID BASED ON ASSESSMENT>
- Log-in with your Middlebury credentials.
- Choose “TITLE OF ASSESSMENT AS INDICATED IN EMAIL FROM LS COORDINATOR” and complete
the assessment. If you cannot remember your Middlebury credentials please browse to https://bat.middlebury.edu/activate/ to reset your password.
For All Others
If you are not a current Middlebury undergraduate, or do not have an active Middlebury College account, follow the instructions below:
To register and create a guest account:
- Browse to Middguests - https://middguests.middlebury.edu/Registration
- Complete the form and click on the “Create” button.
- You will receive an email to verify the account. Follow the instructions in the email.
- You now have a Middlebury college guest username and password.
We recommend using a Gmail e-mail account. You can create a free Gmail account: https://accounts.google.com/SignUp If you do not receive a verification e-mail and are using Yahoo, Hotmail, or AOL, check your spam/junk e-mail folder.
Access the Assessment
To access the Language Assessment:
- Click on the link to Moodle - http://moodle.middlebury.edu/login/index.php
- Login with your Middlebury guest username and password
- A profile screen will appear where you will add additional information
- Complete the form. Please use the same email address that you used to register your guest account.
- You will receive one more confirmation email. Follow the instructions in the email.
- Browse to http://moodle.middlebury.edu/mod/quiz/view.php<ID BASED ON ASSESSMENT
- Click “Enroll Me”.
- Choose “TITLE OF ASSESSMENT AS INDICATED IN EMAIL FROM LS COORDINATOR” and complete the assessment.
(Do NOT select “Academic Year Assessments” or “Middlebury College French Department”.) You will find a table of accented letters where accents may be needed. You can copy and paste these letters into your answers as appropriate.
You may only access the exam once and you must remain online the entire time. You will have two hours to complete the assessment.
Do not hit the "back" button - doing so will end your session and you will not be able to log in again. To submit all answers and exit, click the “Submit all and Finish” button after you have copied your essay into the final question.
If you get disconnected, please send me an email and I will reset the exam for you. I recommend that you jot down your answers on paper as you go along so that you can easily take the exam again if you get disconnected.
I have a Middlebury username and password but I can’t remember my credentials. If you cannot remember your Middlebury credentials please browse to https://bat.middlebury.edu/activate/ to reset your password.
The instructions say that I should receive an email confirmation but I never received one. Please check your spam and/or junk folders in your email client. If you find the email in these folders move it back to the in-box and follow the instructions.