For certain items, we may create a DVD “preservation copy” of a VHS videotape or other format (e.g., a VHS tape is damaged and it is unavailable as a DVD). We have a special i-type with special loan rules so that the preservation copy only circulates within the Library (unless there is special permission for use in a classroom).
Use the MIDCAT record already existing for the original and add notes pertaining to Midd's DVD copy. Do not add a new record to OCLC.
note: For records that look less than complete, it is worth researching on OCLC as the record has likely been updated.
- 538 Middlebury's c. 2 : DVD format.
- 533 Videodisc.|b Middlebury, Vt. : |c Middlebury College Media Services,|d |e 1 videodisc (165 min.) : sd., b&w ; 4 3/4 in.
New DVD Item record:
- Copy:c. 2
- Location: mmcd
- Item type:15 Preservation DVD
- Item message: d RESTRICTED DVD
- Add message field: Preservation DVD – Library use only
- Call number: retain the the current MCTR numbering. Make sure the number is coded as "c" and in 099 field and use D instead of V at the end of the number
Existing Item record:
- Flag the DVD with P&P slip (as well as green slip for Media) and write "Preservation copy"
- P&P will add a label to the case that reads: "Produced by Middlebury College Library and Information Services for preservation purposes authorized by 17 USC § 108 of United States copyright law. May not be distributed outside the premises of the Library."