Procedure for Resolving Printer Paper Jams
This procedure should be used to resolve a paper jam by technical personnel, though others may attempt it as well.
- Unplug the network cable. This ensures that the printer doesn't get overwhelmed with queued jobs when you are troubleshooting it.
- Resolve the paper jam following the on-screen instructions. Follow them carefully. Always check input trays if the correct paper is inserted and that it is inserted correctly.
- Look for bits of torn paper stuck in the way.
- Check common locations of jams (e.g. duplexer).
- If the print jam seems to be resolved, do not plugin the ethernet/network cable yet.
- [Optional] If possible, ask the Helpdesk to clear the print server queue (bombay or papercut) from old print jobs that are queued.
- Request refunds for any partial print outs.
- Before plugging in the network cable, turn off the printer. Some printers have the option to put go to sleep or turn off the LED/LCD display. This is not what you want to do. You want to completely turn off the printer using a physical power switch OR by unplugging the power cable. Wait a few seconds, then plug in the network cable and turn on the printer. This clears cached jobs on the hard drive.