- Remote Assistance by invitation - for use by LIS student consultants
- This method requires the customer to ask for a consultant's help by sending an invitation. Here's how they do this from their computer:
- Start --> Help and Support --> Invite a friend to connect to your computer with Remote Assistance.
- Click "Invite someone to help you".
- The customer can click the Address Book link to browse for your email address, then click "Invite this person." They can supply a message if desired, then click "Continue."
- The customer can set a time limit for the computer access they are granting. They should fill in a password as requested, then click "Send Invitation."
- Lastly, the customer will need to provide you (the helper) with the temporary password they set up.
- Remote Assistance (launch from Heat => Initiate Remote Assistance Session) - only Helpdesk staff have permission to use this
- On Vista the above won't work. However, you can add a shortcut to your Desktop for offering remote assistance: Right-click on a blank spot, New => Create Shortcut => Enter msra => Next => Name it something pretty => Finish.
- On Vista you can also click on the Start button, and enter msra in the search box.
- Blonde Lady
- software for customers can be found (and zipped/e-mailed) here: \\middfiles\Software\Software-Windows...
- software for consultants can be found here: \\middfiles\Software\Software-Windows...
- Remote Desktop (drawback: customer gets logged out)
- Apple Remote Desktop (do not have enough licenses)
- Built-in VNC
- MiddVnc (newer images)