Difference between revisions of "Remote Desktop Access"
(Added tag: 'Windows')
(Added tag: 'Remote Desktop')
|Line 10:||Line 10:|
Revision as of 22:23, 27 February 2009
It's a little bit tricky to explain in writing (at least the initial setup).
The general principle for this is as follows:
- Ensure the computer that remains on campus is turned on, connected to the college's wired network. Record the name of the computer, since you'll be using this to connect to it. The name can be obtained by right-clicking on "My Computer" and selecting "Properties", then clicking on the "Computer Name" tab. Ask the Helpdesk to add you to the list of users on that computer that's allowed to access it remotely.
- From offcampus, establish a VPN connection
- Open Microsoft's "Remote Desktop" program (Start => Programs => Accessories => Remote Desktop Connection)
- In the window that appears, enter the name of the computer that's on campus.
- Login with your own credentials (if there's anyone else logged in, you will be prompted to "log this person off" essentially kicking them off the computer)