How to selectively backup and export files:
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, iWork, PDFs, few pictures, should all go to personal storage on middfiles\home - but don't use this space for storing large files (see below).
iPhoto and Pictures
These need to be backed up either to Muskrat (TEMPORARY STORAGE!) or to an external hard disk (the hard drives from the Library are not meant for backups). Backing up iPhoto
iMovie, FinalCut, iDVD and other larger movie files
These need to be backed up either to Muskrat (TEMPORARY STORAGE!) or to an external hard disk (the hard drives from the Library are not meant for backups)
We recommend migrating to Entourage so that your contacts/address book are automatically backed up to the server.. We do not support AddressBook. There's a drag and drop procedure for importing AddressBook data to Entourage's server-side address list. (Hint: Using drag-and-drop to import contacts, settings, etc. from one program to another is really useful on a Mac! Actually, sometimes it seems to be the only way to import settings.)
We recommend migrating to Entourage so that your calendar is automatically backed up to the server. We do not support iCal. Nevertheless, here's a document outlining how to backup: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2966
Bookmarks can be easily backed up by going to the Bookmarks menu -> Organize Bookmarks and exporting bookmarks to HTML. I'm not sure how to back up saved passwords, history, etc. other than by manually copying the Firefox user data directory.
PC (Windows XP)
All of your data should reside underC:\Documents and Settings\yourusername
- Personal data - your personal data should be located in the folder labeled: C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents. Inside this folder should be most of your .doc, .ppt, .xls, etc... You should backup any file you wish to keep.
- Desktop data - Your desktop shortcuts, folders, files are located at: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop
- IE Browser Favorites- Your Internet Explorer Favorite links are stored at: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Favorites
- Firefox Favorites - Open Mozilla Firefox, Bookmarks | Organize Bookmarks. Click File | Export to export the bookmarks. If the File | Export option is missing, click Bookmarks | Organize Bookmarks, then click on the star icon in the middle of the toolbar and select Export HTML
- Outlook -
- Go to your Outlook folder in Windows Explorer and Highlight all files ending in ".pst".
- Make sure in particular your selection includes "outlook.pst" and "archive.pst".
- If you have Windows Explorer configured not to show file extensions for known formats, look for Microsoft Office Outlook Personal Folders files.
- Select Edit | Copy from the menu to copy the selected files.
- Open the folder where you want to put your backup copies in Windows Explorer (your Homedrive U should be used).
- Select Edit | Paste from the menu to paste your .pst files to the backup location
- Next write down all the "Mailbox - XXXX" entries in the folder list. These are additional mailboxes that were added to Outlook via Tools => Options => E-mail accounts.
see if there are any Personal File Folders or Archive Folders -- these are stored on the computer itself, not on the e-mail server. You can use Control Panel => Mail => Data Files to open the folder where the pst files are stored, then back them up.