- 1 008 Fixed Fields
- 2 1xx Rarely used for serials
- 3 022 ISSN
- 4 245 Title
- 5 246 Varying Title
- 6 260 Publication, Distribution, etc.
- 7 300 Physical Description
- 8 310 Current Publication Frequency
- 9 321 Former Publication Frequency
- 10 500 General Notes
- 11 515 Numbering Peculiarities
- 12 525 Supplement Note
008 Fixed Fields
- c currently pub
- d dead
- u unknown Freq
- <> no det. freq.
- a annual
- g biennial (ev. 2 yrs.) u unknown
- q quarterly
- u unknown
- (see CONSER for others)
- r regular intervals
- x completely irregular
- u unknown
Type of serial
- m monographic series
- n newspaper
- p periodical
Based on 362 field or date of coverage, not date of publication.
1xx Rarely used for serials
Rarely add subtitle. Instead, drop to 500 note with quotation marks. Rarely add statement of responsibility. Instead, drop to 500 note and add 7xx. Omit variable data
- On item: The official 1997 price guide to baseball cards. Bib Record: The official ... price guide to baseball cards.
- On item: 5th annual report. Bib Record: Annual report.
246 Varying Title
260 Publication, Distribution, etc.
Add $c date only if first and/or last piece is in hand. Use a dash after the date to indicate open status. For completed serials, include both beginning and ending dates.
- $c c1960-
- $c [1960-
- $c -1989.
- $c 1992-1998
300 Physical Description
Indicate serial status by v instead of page sequence
- $a v. :$b ill. ;$c 28 cm.
- When serial is "dead" or completed, insert total number of volumes in 300 if known
- $a 6 v. :$b ill. ;$c 20 cm.
310 Current Publication Frequency
Indicate frequency of serial if known.
- $a Annual
- $a Biennial
- $a Irregular
- $a Bimonthly (except July/Aug.)
Add 310 only if Fixed field Frequency & Regularity codes are known.
If you know the serial is irregular, use blank in Freq and x in Regl. If you do not know the frequency, and the serial is not known to be irregular, use u for both Freq and Regl.
- 310 Irregular
- Freq [blank]
- Regl x
Do not use "Frequency varies"; this note may go into the 321 (see CONSER) Do not use "Frequency varies"; this note may go into the 321 (see CONSER) No period at end of 310 field.
321 Former Publication Frequency
- $a Biennial,$b 1981-1982
- $a Frequency varies,$b 1920-1969
No period at end of 321 field.
362 Dates of Publication and/or Vol. Designation (Starting date)
Do not include this field if date is questionable. Do not add copyright abbreviation [e.g., c1978] with date
- Date reflects coverage date, not publication date.
Title: Official 1998 price guide.
1st indicator 0: 1st and/or last issue in hand
2nd indicator 1: 1st and/or last issue not in hand but information known
362 0 $a 1980-
$a Mar. 1978-
$a 16th ed. (1991)-
$a No. 42 (1971)-
$a Vol. 1, no. 1 (Jan. 1976)-v. 14, no. 6 (1989)
$a 1st ed.-
362 1 $a Began in 1990.
$a Began with vol. 1.
$a Ceased in 1989.
500 General Notes
1st and/or last issue not in hand (pair with 362):
- $a Description based on: 1982. [not c1982]
- $a Description based on: Vol. 3, no. 3 (May/June 1975)
- $a Description based on: 6th ed. (1989)
- $a Some issues have also a distinctive title.
- $a Each issue has also a distinctive title.
- $a Title varies slightly.
- $a Title from cover.
Statement of responsibility:
$a Editor: 1947- B. Smith.
$a Indexes: (see AACR2R 12.7B17)
$a "Guide to mutual support groups." (Use a drop note like this instead of a 245 subtitle.)
$a Includes colored folded map in pocket.
$a Imprint varies.
515 Numbering Peculiarities
- Sample notes:
$a Numbering begins each year with no. 1.
$a 1996- issued in 2 vols.
$a Vols. 53 and 54 combined.
$a Some issues lack volume numbering.
$a Vol. for 1995/1996 called Centennial ed.
$a Issued in pts.
525 Supplement Note
- Sample notes:
$a Supplements accompany some issues.
$a Vols. for 1961- kept up to date by midyear supplements.
$a Some vols. accompanied by supplements.
$a Kept up to date by periodic supplements.