Shared Calendars and Room Resources
- This page is currently in draft form and subject to change. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
Within our Microsoft Exchange environment, each user is provided with a calendar for personal use. In addition to these individual calendars, there are "special" types that can be set up. The most important types are Room Resources and special mailboxes with shared calendars.
These work exactly as if the mailbox were a person who had given someone else access to edit their calendar. To use them, follow these instructions:
Room Resources are like regular shared mailboxes, but with the added feature of a "Mailbox Attendant" who can accept and reject meeting requests. To reserve a Room for your meeting, just invite the room to the meeting along with the rest of the attendees. The meeting location will be automatically set to that room, and the room will "accept" the meeting if it is available and reserve that time. Our partner institutions have additional documentation for the following tasks:
- How do I get a Room Resource or Shared Calendar? What information do I need to provide to make this happen?
- approval: Appointments may be automatically approved (or denied) by individuals (or groups of people) who may send meeting requests. It is possible to define who may have this level of permission to the room. (The default is that appointments will appear as 'tentative' until the owner opens the mailbox to accept or deny meeting requests for the room.)
- room capacity: To prevent a room from being overbooked, the capacity of the room should be defined.
There are currently (Fall, 2014) calendars in Public Folders. These are being phased out to maintain future compatibility. Those who are using Public Folders calendars will need to migrate to use of Room Resources and/or Shared Calendars, which may be shared in a similar way as Public Folders.
- Once I have my new Room Resource or Shared Calendar, can I move existing meetings to this new thing?
- Can I still use the Public Folders calendar?