Shared Calendars and Room Resources
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Mailboxes with Shared Calendars
- 3 Room Resources
- 4 FAQ
Within our Microsoft Exchange environment, each user is provided with a calendar for personal use. In addition to these individual calendars, there are "special" types that can be set up. The most important types are mailboxes with shared calendars, and Room Resources.
These work exactly as if the mailbox were a person who had given someone else access to edit their calendar. To use them, follow these instructions:
Room Resources are like regular shared mailboxes, but with the added feature of a "Mailbox Attendant" who can accept and reject meeting requests. To reserve a Room for your meeting, just invite the room to the meeting along with the rest of the attendees. The meeting location will be automatically set to that room, and the room will "accept" the meeting if it is available and reserve that time. Our partner institutions have additional documentation for the following tasks:
Please contact the Helpdesk to make your request. When you do, you will need to know the following:
- What should the name of the new entity be? Is there an existing mailbox that could be used for this purpose?
- Who can make changes?
- Who should be the "moderator" (with full access to resolve any conflicts should they occur)?
- Who can see events others have made?
- (For Rooms) What is the room capacity? This prevents the room from being overbooked according to the Fire Code.
- (For Rooms, optional) Who can request to make changes that have to be approved by a moderator? If this option is in place, requests will appear on the calendar as "Tentative" until they are approved.
There are currently (Fall, 2014) calendars in Public Folders. These are being phased out to maintain future compatibility. Those who are using Public Folders calendars will need to migrate to use of Shared Calendars and/or Room Resources, which may be shared in a similar way as Public Folders.
- Shared calendar appointments can be moved. Past events in calendars for room scheduling (that don't have recurring instances in the future) may be moved into Room Resources. All future events should be recreated manually in the Room Resource. See 'How to book a room" under #Room Resources.
Can I still use the Public Folders calendar?
- ITS will work with you to set a transition plan. Once the transition has begun, the Public Folders calendar will be available to view existing events, but may not be editable.