Middlebury

Difference between revisions of "Special Collections cataloging & metadata meetings: notes"

(Added tag: 'meeting notes')
m
 
(27 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
[[Archival Materials & Special Collections|&lt;&lt; Back to Archival Materials &amp; Special Collections]]<br>
 +
 +
[[Cataloging|&lt;&lt; Back to Cataloging]]
 +
 +
=== Year: 2011<br> ===
 +
 +
See [https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/middlebury.edu/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AixlmWQIoPcmdHVHQlRrX3MwNDFvdUpvdTZMMy1Demc&hl=en_US#gid=0 this spreadsheet] for status of current projects.
 +
 +
=== Year:&nbsp;2010  ===
 +
 +
----
 +
 +
===== 10/21/10  =====
 +
 +
Note: Tasks in red
 +
 +
'''Current status/review'''<br>
 +
 +
*Archon software (open source) for creating Finding Aids, etc.: part of Spec Coll goals for year. Waiting to hear from Systems (Mike L.) what tech requirements are; how to implement
 +
*Aber MS: <br>~ Richard has added 20 records for Aber MS<br>~ Richard:&nbsp;add 830 series to pull all together: ''Abernethy Collection manuscripts''''.'''''All are also currently searchable under local call&nbsp; number ABER MS <span style="color: green;">[DONE]</span><br>~<span style="color: red;">Andy:</span> finish adding the names that were omitted by student when comiling the Aber Misc contents; Richard will add to Worldcat and Midcat records<br>~Richard: work on Emerson letters <span style="color: green;">[DONE]</span>
 +
*<span style="color: red;">Hemingway collection:</span> Andy working on finding aid
 +
*<span style="color: red;">Flanders:</span> finding aid completed; <span style="color: red;">Andy</span> will edit; <span style="color: red;">Richard</span> will then create MARC record
 +
*<span style="color: red;">Lafcadio Hearn:</span> Andy near completion; Richard will review
 +
*Existing finding aids: <span style="color: red;">Richard</span> will create MARC records (R has converted all Word docs to PDFs)
 +
*Andy's priorities for RJs work: Emersons, Thoreau, Marguerite Wilkinson <span style="color: green;">[DONE]</span>. Richard took Emerson folders <span style="color: green;">[DONE]</span>
 +
*Other projects: <br>~Civil War MS collection (RBMS)<br>~MARC records for existing finding aids (Richard has created PDFs for all)
 +
*Discussion about Spec Coll blogs: Dartmouth and UMass Amherst. Possibly trial on LIS Blog, highlighting new materials or 'hidden gems'in Midd's Spec Coll
 +
*Future meetings: Andy will send monthly meeting request for these meetings, 3rd Thursday, 2:00 PM <br> <span style="color: green;">[DONE]</span>
 +
 +
----
 +
 +
===== 7/25/10  =====
 +
 +
'''Agenda: updates, progress, immediate future projects'''
 +
 +
*Richard: questions about Alcott letters
 +
*Andy working on L. Hearn
 +
*Danielle: R will train on Connexion, &amp; she will start coll lev records for Archives, probably S1
 +
*Richard: for next projects, took Map of Concord, Hawthorne folders (various), Christopher P. Cranch, W.E. Channing.
 +
*Midd serials: Campus, Newsletter/Magazine, Undergraduate, Blue Baboon, etc. Add Links to current print bib rec if one is available. Create records for others.
 +
*General: when possible when creating bib records, cross-reference separately-located-but-related items by adding note in bib record. Examples:<br>
 +
 +
:*''544 1 Related material: Sophia Eastman letter to Mehitable Eastman, archived in Abernethy Collection manuscript miscellany, Authors D-F''<br>
 +
:*''500&nbsp; Letters are tipped into Middlebury's copy 2 of: Heart's needle. New York, Alfred A. Knopf, 1959.''<br>
 +
 +
*Fixed Connexion on Danielle's PC<br>
 +
*Problem with Millennium Andy's laptop. He will try to reinstall if necessary <br>
 +
 +
<br>
 +
 +
----
 +
 
===== 7/9/10<br>  =====
 
===== 7/9/10<br>  =====
  
Line 5: Line 57:
 
----
 
----
  
===== <br><br>6/9/10<br>  =====
+
===== 6/9/10<br>  =====
 
 
Attendees: Richard Jenkins, Danielle Rougeau, Andy Wentink<br>
 
  
Agenda: To discuss progress with cataloging Aber Misc, some cataloging oddities, and summer cataloging plans  
+
'''Agenda:''' To discuss progress with cataloging Aber Misc, some cataloging oddities, and summer cataloging plans  
  
Richard's MS cataloging questions &amp; Andy's answers: <br>  
+
'''Richard's MS cataloging questions &amp; Andy's answers: '''<br>  
  
 
*Call numbers for individual folders from Aber Miscellany that are to be cataloged separately: generally, give them same call number as coll level records (e,g, ABER MS N-R)  
 
*Call numbers for individual folders from Aber Miscellany that are to be cataloged separately: generally, give them same call number as coll level records (e,g, ABER MS N-R)  
 
*300 field: extent: use format $a 1 folder (5 items)&nbsp;; or $a 1 box (10 folders). Do not include transcripts in count. (Mention in notes field)
 
*300 field: extent: use format $a 1 folder (5 items)&nbsp;; or $a 1 box (10 folders). Do not include transcripts in count. (Mention in notes field)
  
Oddities: Richard will begin these after Brook Farms correspondence<br>  
+
'''Oddities: Richard will begin these after Brook Farms correspondence'''<br>  
  
 
*Frank O'Hara volume: handwritten poems  
 
*Frank O'Hara volume: handwritten poems  
Line 23: Line 73:
 
*Saul Bellow volume with letters
 
*Saul Bellow volume with letters
  
Finding aids:<br>  
+
'''Finding aids:'''<br>  
  
 
*All present dissatisfied with finding aids as CONTENTdm collection. Prefer original plan (many years ago!) of creating/saving finding aids on server with link to bib record. Double the work currently. Andy will inquire further with Terry/Mike Lynch  
 
*All present dissatisfied with finding aids as CONTENTdm collection. Prefer original plan (many years ago!) of creating/saving finding aids on server with link to bib record. Double the work currently. Andy will inquire further with Terry/Mike Lynch  
 
*Still interested in pursuing Archon as way to create EAD finding aids
 
*Still interested in pursuing Archon as way to create EAD finding aids
  
Other:<br>  
+
'''Other:'''<br>  
  
 
*Mentioned Jess's suggestion to create GoogleDoc with Spec Coll cataloging projects -- priorities, problems, progress. Sounds good to everyone  
 
*Mentioned Jess's suggestion to create GoogleDoc with Spec Coll cataloging projects -- priorities, problems, progress. Sounds good to everyone  
Line 48: Line 98:
 
:→Migrate these to Worldcat via OCLC Digital Gateway (converts Dublin Core to MARC)
 
:→Migrate these to Worldcat via OCLC Digital Gateway (converts Dublin Core to MARC)
  
:→Download from OCLC via Connexion into Midcat
+
:→Download from OCLC via Connexion into Midcat
  
 
*Eventually, students can be trained to upload finding aids to CONTENTdm, with basic metadata. Richard or other cataloging staff can then vet and add subject headings via Project Client  
 
*Eventually, students can be trained to upload finding aids to CONTENTdm, with basic metadata. Richard or other cataloging staff can then vet and add subject headings via Project Client  
Line 67: Line 117:
 
*Timeline: try adding at least one by end of March
 
*Timeline: try adding at least one by end of March
  
<br>Reminder: some documentation has already been created on the LISwiki for Spec Coll cataloging procedures, tho' it may need revision: [https://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/wiki/LIS/Archival_Materials_%26_Special_Collections https://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/wiki/LIS/Archival_Materials_%26_Special_Collections]<br> <br><br><br>
+
<br>Reminder: some documentation has already been created on the LISwiki for Spec Coll cataloging procedures, tho' it may need revision: [https://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/wiki/LIS/Archival_Materials_%26_Special_Collections https://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/wiki/LIS/Archival_Materials_%26_Special_Collections]<br>  
[[Category:meeting notes]]
+
 
 +
=== Year: 2009<br><br><br> ===
 +
 
 +
[[Category:Meeting_notes]] [[Category:Special_Collections]]

Latest revision as of 11:38, 8 August 2011

<< Back to Archival Materials & Special Collections

<< Back to Cataloging

Year: 2011

See this spreadsheet for status of current projects.

Year: 2010


10/21/10

Note: Tasks in red

Current status/review

  • Archon software (open source) for creating Finding Aids, etc.: part of Spec Coll goals for year. Waiting to hear from Systems (Mike L.) what tech requirements are; how to implement
  • Aber MS:
    ~ Richard has added 20 records for Aber MS
    ~ Richard: add 830 series to pull all together: Abernethy Collection manuscripts'.All are also currently searchable under local call  number ABER MS [DONE]
    ~Andy: finish adding the names that were omitted by student when comiling the Aber Misc contents; Richard will add to Worldcat and Midcat records
    ~Richard: work on Emerson letters [DONE]
  • Hemingway collection: Andy working on finding aid
  • Flanders: finding aid completed; Andy will edit; Richard will then create MARC record
  • Lafcadio Hearn: Andy near completion; Richard will review
  • Existing finding aids: Richard will create MARC records (R has converted all Word docs to PDFs)
  • Andy's priorities for RJs work: Emersons, Thoreau, Marguerite Wilkinson [DONE]. Richard took Emerson folders [DONE]
  • Other projects:
    ~Civil War MS collection (RBMS)
    ~MARC records for existing finding aids (Richard has created PDFs for all)
  • Discussion about Spec Coll blogs: Dartmouth and UMass Amherst. Possibly trial on LIS Blog, highlighting new materials or 'hidden gems'in Midd's Spec Coll
  • Future meetings: Andy will send monthly meeting request for these meetings, 3rd Thursday, 2:00 PM
    [DONE]

7/25/10

Agenda: updates, progress, immediate future projects

  • Richard: questions about Alcott letters
  • Andy working on L. Hearn
  • Danielle: R will train on Connexion, & she will start coll lev records for Archives, probably S1
  • Richard: for next projects, took Map of Concord, Hawthorne folders (various), Christopher P. Cranch, W.E. Channing.
  • Midd serials: Campus, Newsletter/Magazine, Undergraduate, Blue Baboon, etc. Add Links to current print bib rec if one is available. Create records for others.
  • General: when possible when creating bib records, cross-reference separately-located-but-related items by adding note in bib record. Examples:
  • 544 1 Related material: Sophia Eastman letter to Mehitable Eastman, archived in Abernethy Collection manuscript miscellany, Authors D-F
  • 500  Letters are tipped into Middlebury's copy 2 of: Heart's needle. New York, Alfred A. Knopf, 1959.
  • Fixed Connexion on Danielle's PC
  • Problem with Millennium Andy's laptop. He will try to reinstall if necessary



7/9/10

Cataloging update
New questions for cataloging
Plan Connextion refresher for sometime soon (or today, if possible)
Other questions/business?


6/9/10

Agenda: To discuss progress with cataloging Aber Misc, some cataloging oddities, and summer cataloging plans

Richard's MS cataloging questions & Andy's answers:

  • Call numbers for individual folders from Aber Miscellany that are to be cataloged separately: generally, give them same call number as coll level records (e,g, ABER MS N-R)
  • 300 field: extent: use format $a 1 folder (5 items) ; or $a 1 box (10 folders). Do not include transcripts in count. (Mention in notes field)

Oddities: Richard will begin these after Brook Farms correspondence

  • Frank O'Hara volume: handwritten poems
  • Snodgrass/Untermeyer correspondence tipped in book
  • Robert Frost volume of poetry with correspondence btwn B. Meredith and Dakin [former Vt. Bookstore owner -- I forgot his name already . .. Dakin Smith?
  • Saul Bellow volume with letters

Finding aids:

  • All present dissatisfied with finding aids as CONTENTdm collection. Prefer original plan (many years ago!) of creating/saving finding aids on server with link to bib record. Double the work currently. Andy will inquire further with Terry/Mike Lynch
  • Still interested in pursuing Archon as way to create EAD finding aids

Other:

  • Mentioned Jess's suggestion to create GoogleDoc with Spec Coll cataloging projects -- priorities, problems, progress. Sounds good to everyone
  • Jess & Danielle to begin finding aids for other collections this summer
  • Discussion of Hemingway collection


3/9/10

Finding Aids

  • Danielle and Andy will check current completed finding aids and Andy will make titles (etc.) consistent with DACS guidelines
  • Danielle will add these finding aids (ca. 20 items) to Middfiles folder (?)
  • Richard will:
→Create records for each in the CONTENTdm Finding Aids collection (he has already added 2)
→Migrate these to Worldcat via OCLC Digital Gateway (converts Dublin Core to MARC)
→Download from OCLC via Connexion into Midcat
  • Eventually, students can be trained to upload finding aids to CONTENTdm, with basic metadata. Richard or other cataloging staff can then vet and add subject headings via Project Client
  • Timeline: End of March
  • Andy and Richard will view the Archon webinar on March 30 to see about feasibility of creating future finding aids via Archon (instead of current practice of using Word)

CONTENTdm: Field consistencies for Spec Coll collections

  • Richard, Danielle, and Jess have cleaned up controlled vocabularies in existing collections
  • Richard will review all collections for consistent field labels (Subjects vs Subject, for example)
  • Richard will recommend changes to Danielle
  • Timeline: End of March

Abernethy: Collection-level records

  • Agreed once again to create collection-level records for the Abernethy Miscellaneous Manuscripts Collection (a student is currently working on describing these). The Miscellaneous Manuscripts will be broken down into approximately five sub-collections arranged alphabetically by authors, Andy will approve and send info to Richard to create catalog records
  • This is an area we agreed on awhile ago (with Cynthia); just have never succeeded in going forward
  • Timeline: try adding at least one by end of March


Reminder: some documentation has already been created on the LISwiki for Spec Coll cataloging procedures, tho' it may need revision: https://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/wiki/LIS/Archival_Materials_%26_Special_Collections

Year: 2009


Powered by MediaWiki