Middlebury

Difference between revisions of "Special Collections cataloging & metadata meetings: notes"

m
m
Line 1: Line 1:
===== 6/9/10<br>  =====
+
===== 7/9/10<br>  =====
 +
 
 +
Cataloging update <br>New questions for cataloging <br>Plan Connextion refresher for sometime soon (or today, if possible) <br>Other questions/business?<br><br>
 +
 
 +
----
 +
 
 +
===== <br><br>6/9/10<br>  =====
  
 
Attendees: Richard Jenkins, Danielle Rougeau, Andy Wentink<br>  
 
Attendees: Richard Jenkins, Danielle Rougeau, Andy Wentink<br>  
Line 27: Line 33:
 
*Jess &amp; Danielle to begin finding aids for other collections this summer  
 
*Jess &amp; Danielle to begin finding aids for other collections this summer  
 
*Discussion of Hemingway collection<br><br>
 
*Discussion of Hemingway collection<br><br>
 +
 +
----
 +
 +
===== 3/9/10<br>  =====
 +
 +
<br>'''Finding Aids'''<br>
 +
 +
*Danielle and Andy will check current completed finding aids and Andy will make titles (etc.) consistent with DACS guidelines
 +
*Danielle will add these finding aids (ca. 20 items) to Middfiles folder (?)
 +
*Richard will:
 +
 +
:*Create records for each in the CONTENTdm Finding Aids collection (he has already added 2)
 +
:*Migrate these to Worldcat via OCLC Digital Gateway (converts Dublin Core to MARC)
 +
:*Download from OCLC via Connexion into Midcat
 +
 +
*Eventually, students can be trained to upload finding aids to CONTENTdm, with basic metadata. Richard or other cataloging staff can then vet and add subject headings via Project Client
 +
*Timeline: End of March
 +
*Andy and Richard will view the Archon webinar on March 30 to see about feasibility of creating future finding aids via Archon (instead of current practice of using Word)
 +
 +
<br>'''CONTENTdm: Field consistencies for Spec Coll collections'''<br>
 +
 +
*Richard, Danielle, and Jess have cleaned up controlled vocabularies in existing collections
 +
*Richard will review all collections for consistent field labels (Subjects vs Subject, for example)
 +
*Richard will recommend changes to Danielle
 +
*Timeline: End of March
 +
 +
<br>'''Abernethy: Collection-level records'''<br>
 +
 +
*Agreed once again to create collection-level records for the Abernethy Miscellaneous Manuscripts Collection (a student is currently working on describing these). The Miscellaneous Manuscripts will be broken down into approximately five sub-collections arranged alphabetically by authors, Andy will approve and send info to Richard to create catalog records
 +
*This is an area we agreed on awhile ago (with Cynthia); just have never succeeded in going forward
 +
*Timeline: try adding at least one by end of March
 +
 +
<br> <br>Reminder: some documentation has already been created on the LISwiki for Spec Coll cataloging procedures, tho' it may need revision: [https://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/wiki/LIS/Archival_Materials_%26_Special_Collections https://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/wiki/LIS/Archival_Materials_%26_Special_Collections]<br> <br><br><br>

Revision as of 09:16, 9 July 2010

7/9/10

Cataloging update
New questions for cataloging
Plan Connextion refresher for sometime soon (or today, if possible)
Other questions/business?




6/9/10

Attendees: Richard Jenkins, Danielle Rougeau, Andy Wentink

Agenda: To discuss progress with cataloging Aber Misc, some cataloging oddities, and summer cataloging plans

Richard's MS cataloging questions & Andy's answers:

  • Call numbers for individual folders from Aber Miscellany that are to be cataloged separately: generally, give them same call number as coll level records (e,g, ABER MS N-R)
  • 300 field: extent: use format $a 1 folder (5 items) ; or $a 1 box (10 folders). Do not include transcripts in count. (Mention in notes field)

Oddities: Richard will begin these after Brook Farms correspondence

  • Frank O'Hara volume: handwritten poems
  • Snodgrass/Untermeyer correspondence tipped in book
  • Robert Frost volume of poetry with correspondence btwn B. Meredith and Dakin [former Vt. Bookstore owner -- I forgot his name already . .. Dakin Smith?
  • Saul Bellow volume with letters

Finding aids:

  • All present dissatisfied with finding aids as CONTENTdm collection. Prefer original plan (many years ago!) of creating/saving finding aids on server with link to bib record. Double the work currently. Andy will inquire further with Terry/Mike Lynch
  • Still interested in pursuing Archon as way to create EAD finding aids

Other:

  • Mentioned Jess's suggestion to create GoogleDoc with Spec Coll cataloging projects -- priorities, problems, progress. Sounds good to everyone
  • Jess & Danielle to begin finding aids for other collections this summer
  • Discussion of Hemingway collection


3/9/10


Finding Aids

  • Danielle and Andy will check current completed finding aids and Andy will make titles (etc.) consistent with DACS guidelines
  • Danielle will add these finding aids (ca. 20 items) to Middfiles folder (?)
  • Richard will:
  • Create records for each in the CONTENTdm Finding Aids collection (he has already added 2)
  • Migrate these to Worldcat via OCLC Digital Gateway (converts Dublin Core to MARC)
  • Download from OCLC via Connexion into Midcat
  • Eventually, students can be trained to upload finding aids to CONTENTdm, with basic metadata. Richard or other cataloging staff can then vet and add subject headings via Project Client
  • Timeline: End of March
  • Andy and Richard will view the Archon webinar on March 30 to see about feasibility of creating future finding aids via Archon (instead of current practice of using Word)


CONTENTdm: Field consistencies for Spec Coll collections

  • Richard, Danielle, and Jess have cleaned up controlled vocabularies in existing collections
  • Richard will review all collections for consistent field labels (Subjects vs Subject, for example)
  • Richard will recommend changes to Danielle
  • Timeline: End of March


Abernethy: Collection-level records

  • Agreed once again to create collection-level records for the Abernethy Miscellaneous Manuscripts Collection (a student is currently working on describing these). The Miscellaneous Manuscripts will be broken down into approximately five sub-collections arranged alphabetically by authors, Andy will approve and send info to Richard to create catalog records
  • This is an area we agreed on awhile ago (with Cynthia); just have never succeeded in going forward
  • Timeline: try adding at least one by end of March



Reminder: some documentation has already been created on the LISwiki for Spec Coll cataloging procedures, tho' it may need revision: https://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/wiki/LIS/Archival_Materials_%26_Special_Collections