Student Printing and Quotas
- 1 Papercut Print Server
- 2 Printing Quotas
Papercut Print Server
Logging into PaperCut
PaperCut users are granted access to a set of basic web pages providing them with the ability to:
- View their account balance
- List recent account activity
- Use tools to add value to their account
To log in type one of the following into the Address field of your browser:
Users with accounts must authenticate using the following dialog:
See Guest Printing for more information
PaperCut User Interface
Once you login PaperCut you are presented with your account summary.
Specific tasks can be performed by selecting from the menu items on the left.
1. Purchase a card with the value you seek. Cards come in $5, $10, or $20 increments. The locations to purchase a Print Card are:
- The College Bookstore in Proctor Hall
- Wilson Cafe in the Main Library
- MiddExpress on the first floor of the McCullough Student Center
2. Open a web browser and navigate to the PaperCut user login page. The Summary page will load and indicate your current account balance.
3. Click the Redeem Card menu link on the left side of your screen.
4. In the Card Number field, enter the number on the card purchased (including any dashes [-]).
5. Click the Redeem Card button. The value of the card will be added to your account balance.
Please note: Unused funds that remain in account will be rolled-over to the next semester until the student leaves the college. If the student leaves the college with funds in his/her account there will be no refunds made available.
The transaction history page displays a user's balance history in detail. Here a user can see how, when, and why their balance was affected.
Recent Print Jobs
This is an example of printing history. It allows you to see the cost of your print jobs, or to find a particular print job. The filter criteria allows for many different views of printing, and can be used to easily drill-down to find the information required. Refunds can also be requested through this form by select the job in question and clicking the "Request Refund" link in the Status column.
Jobs Pending Release
Jobs Pending Release allows users to view and manage jobs held in a hold/release queue. From here, jobs that have been held in a queue can be released by the user (click print). You can see the cost of the job before printing. File size limit is 1GB.
To print your document follow these steps below:
1. Select Web Print from menu options on left side of screen.
Web Print is a printing solution ideal for printing from your personal computer. This page allows you to upload documents for printing, rather than requiring the print queues to be installed on their system. You will be guided through a wizard where they can select a printer, choose options such as number of copies, and select a document to upload. The document will then be queued for printing and you can track its status from this page. Web Print is a driver-less printing service that allows users to print by uploading documents from a web browser. No client software or driver installation is required. Web Print provides a simple way to enable printing for laptop, wireless and anonymous users without the overhead of installing printer drivers and managing server authentication.
2. Select the Submit a Job link
3. Select the printer name from the list provided
4. Select the button at the bottom of the screen labeled: 2. Print Options and Account Selection
5. Enter number of copies your would llike and then select the button labeled: 3. Upload Document
6. Using the Browse button find your document file you wish to print
7. Select the Upload & Complete button to complete your print tasks
8. Go to the printer, sign into the Print Release Station with your PaperCut account information; locate you print job and release it to the printer.
<u</u>Supported Applications and File Formats<u</u>
The following table lists the file formats that Web Print can convert into print jobs.
Application File Format
|Adobe Reader 9|
|Microsoft Office Excel 2007||XLS, XLSX, etc...|
|Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007||PPT, PPTX, etc...|
|Microsoft Office Word 2007||DOC, DOCX. etc...|
|Microsoft XPS Viewer||XPS|
The Add Credit page allows you to add $ value to your account balance using a credit card. From the Amount to add drop-down list select a value to be added to your account and then click the Add Value button. The form below opens. Type the required information into the form and then click the Pay Now button to complete your transaction.
Click Logout to protect the value of your account.
Printing Policy (summary)
- Pages are deducted from the student's quota each time a print job is completed.
- Release stations hold jobs for up to 2 hours after which they are removed.
- Web Print allows you to print to any public printer from your laptop. See the Web Print section.
- All student accounts should be activated for PaperCut by February 8, 2010.
- We are charging 5 cents per black & white single-sided page and 8 cents per black & white double-sided page. See Quotas and Rates below.
- Faculty and staff are charged 50 cents per page for color copying in the Main Library.
- Students may add additional amounts to their PaperCut account balance. See the Redeem Card section or the Add Credit section.
- Students should use public printers only!
- Students will be required to submit requests for refunds through the PaperCut model when printing errors and problems arise. Requests for a refund will be processed once a week by the LIS Helpdesk during regular business hours. Urgent requests will be considered depending on the situation. Note: refunds will not be given for user error (duplicate printing, selecting wrong printer, etc...) See Requesting a refund section for more information.
- Student organizations must have a budget to print. Documents larger than a page or two should to be sent to Reprographics. Printing on a plotter will be charged to the organization's Banner Index. All standard color printing will need to go through Reprographics. If the color printer LIB142C is used the organization's Banner index will be charged as well.
- For course printing on a plotter, once a term, applicable departments will submit to Jeff Lahaie a list of student names and ID numbers and the amount to be added to each student's account to cover printing.
Quotas and Rates:
Each semester students are given an account balance within PaperCut as follows:
Spring & Fall Semester
|Non-seniors receive $25 per term||Equivalent to 500 black & white single-sided pages or 625 black & white double-sided pages|
|Seniors receive $50 per term||Equivalent to 1,000 black & white single-sided pages or 1,250 black & white double-sided pages|
|Non-seniors receive $10||Equivalent to 200 black & white single-sided pages or 250 black & white double-sided pages|
|Seniors receive $20||Equivalent to 400 black & white single-sided pages or 500 black & white double-sided pages|
Rates have been set as follows
- 5 cents per black & white impression on a single-sided document once quota is exceeded.
- 4 cents per black & white impression on a double-sided document (8 cents front & back of sheet is charged) once quota is exceeded.
- Color printing: 25 cents (letter), 50 cents (Ledger)
- Color plotter: $1.50 per linear foot
Semester (Term) Dates
Each beginning of of term the student will receive funds (as outlined above). The Term Dates are:
Fall: August 21 (start) to December 31 (end)
Winter: January 1 (start) to January 31 (end)
Spring: February 1 (start) to June 4 (end)
Language Schools: June 5 (start) to August 20 (end)
Requesting a refund
As stated in the Policy section above, students will be required to submit requests for refunds through the PaperCut Recent Print Jobs form when printing errors and problems arise. Requests for a refund will be processed once a week by the Helpdesk during regular business hours. Urgent requests will be considered depending on the situation. Note: refunds will not be given for user error (duplicate printing, selecting wrong printer, etc...)
To request a refund follow these steps:
1. Sign into PaperCut and select the Recent Print Jobs menu option.
2. Find the print job that had a problem printing and in the column of that specific print job record you will select the link: Request Refund
3. The Refund Request then displays with details on your print job in question. In the Refund Amountbox select Full amount or Partial amount. If selecting Partial amount then enter the partial amount you are requesting as a refund.
4. Enter information in the Reason for Request memo box and then press the Send button.
Your refund request will then be processed within one business week.