The confidentiality agreement and contact information web form can be found here.
- What made you apply for this job?
- Any customer service/library experience?
- Talk about a good customer experience
- Talk about a bad customer experience
- What is your major and how did you chose it?
- What interests you about this job?
- Tell me about your experience working with the public, and did you enjoy it?
- How would you describe yourself as a worker, include strengths and weaknesses?
- What extracurricular activities are you involved with this year?
- How would a classmate describe your work style?
- If you had a choice, would you rather cook an elaborate dinner or go water skiing?
- Are you applying for any other summer on or off campus jobs and/or internships, LS, BLSE, BLWC, etc?
- Talk about your comfort level with computers and various programs
Hired on __________________________________________
EPAF submitted via Banner _________________________________
Added to Student Directory ___________________________
Circulation Assistant - General
Pay Level Criteria
• Requires no previous training or special skills other than basic computer skills
• Requires minimum and finite on-the-job training
• Does not require supervision of others
• Provide front line customer service at the main library circulation desk. Tasks include check in and out of all library materials, equipment and media; constant verbal contact with library patrons.
• Be knowledgeable of library building and functions
• Provide support to reserves, stacks, and ILL
• Foster team work and a friendly approachable atmosphere and environment
• Demonstrate a willingness to learn and complete tasks with time constraints
• Become familiar with and utilize every aspect/module of library circulation computer system
• Assume responsibility for adhering to schedules and working guidelines. • Exhibit willingness to accept direction from supervisors
Agree to work a minimum of three 2-hour shifts per semester AND during exam period. May require evening and/or weekend shifts
• Professional and upbeat manner
• Strong communication skills
Policy Handbook for students
The handbook can be found here.
Reference release form
The release form for a reference from the library can be found here .
Student employee shift sign up procedures - Davis Family and Armstrong
- Will be at the opening hour on the assigned day (suggested and endorsed by the student schedule focus group in 1/08)
- Date must be after all students have registered on Banner.
- Try and keep the total number of student workers as low as possible each semester
- Aim for 6-8 hours per student each semester. There will always be exceptions and will be reviewed on a case by case basis as those exceptions arise
- First years or first time workers – pls caution them to a max of 2- 3 shifts for first semester
- On the assigned day, an empty schedule will be available at the Davis Family circulation desk
- Students can come and sign up for 4 shifts maximum and 2 minimum. Must be signed up in person only. No phone calls or emails accepted.
- Students abroad may send requests for 2 shifts each before all get the chance for 4. Now may add 2 more requested shifts per abroad student.
- Wait 48 hours for all to pick 4 max/2 min and then open the remaining slots to all
Exceptions to the normal schedule (all branches):
- Exam weeks and breaks will be by sign-up
- The Sunday at the end of a break will usually be on the regular schedule
Tips for good customer service
- Avoid lengthy personal discussions
- Avoid intense studying
- Don't spread your homework out on work areas
- Leave counter areas free for transacting business
- Project a welcoming and helpful attitude
- Make eye contact
- Ask “May I help you?”
- Be attentive
- Notice when someone approaches the desk looking for help
- Refer to a Circ supervisor if you are not sure of the answer or procedure
Start Date ____________________________________
Date Training / Orientation Complete _______________
30 Day Performance Review Date: _________________
- Millennium Circ Module - Check-in/out; Search/Holds; holds, requests, bookings, messages; Midcat; My Midcat
- Shift Routine and Expectations (see Job Performance Expectations)
- Customer Service
- Emergency Manual
- Circ blog and Facebook.
- Circulation Wiki
Additional training materials
- Tour of circ area; tour of library
- Equipment and laptops
- ILL and NExpress
- Media Collection ( browsing & restricted )
- CD collection
- Film Screening
- Book Drops
- Returns - hold shelves
- Reshelving carts
- Borrower Info on web
- New books/materials
- Front desk - supplies
- Gate Alarm
- Stacks orientation w/ Todd
- Searching - missing books
- Placing requests
- Reserves orientation, policies and procedures w/ Kellam
- Desk stats (stats week)
- Library Borrower web pages
- Help desk
- Public Safety and when to call; problem users etc.
- Distribution lists and directory
- Employee policies, timesheets and time entry, Banner, meal break policy; payroll/direct deposit
- Schedules - substitute policies, Outlook/Google, group email; confirm work schedule; orientation; shadow/training shifts
- 1-month review