Tech Helpdesk Public Documentation
Other email clients
Networking and Internet
Our network on campus
Accounts and Passwords
- NetStorage - access your server files anywhere!
- Using File Servers (Windows)
- Using File Servers (Macintosh)
- Using Course Folders on the Classes Server
- FTP Files To and From Midd-Unix
Office and Productivity
- Microsoft Word 2003 Basic Usage
- Microsoft Word 2007 Basic Usage
- Microsoft Word OS X 2004 & 2008 Basic Usage
- Microsoft Word Advanced Topics
- Microsoft Excel Basic Usage
- Microsoft Powerpoint Basic Usage
- Opening Office 2007 documents on a Mac (including docx documents)
- Create A PDF File Using Acrobat Writer
Scanning and OCR
What's New In Banner 7
Banner 7 Interface Changes
Banner 7, although not changing much in function, has a new look and feel. These changes are listed below, then discussed in more detail in the following pages.
Main Menu Changes
- The Go field changed to Go To; you can now use and to scroll through recently used forms.
- You can now press to navigate to a different form; and navigation also works in this field.
- All toolbar icons are visible in the Main Menu.
- Quickflows now launch directly from the Go To field.
- New Help Center link.
- My Links section.
Enhanced User Interface
- Tabbed forms make navigating from block to block easier
- New screen resolution to make more data visible
- Icons changed, moved for better grouping, or removed
- Made disabled text easier to read
- Added pop-up options list with right mouse click
- Added smart toolbar that does not re-draw each time a form is opened
- Enabled user-defined window colors
- Ability to add Personal Links to the Banner Main Menu
- Replaced blue item (field) labels with Search icon ([[Image:]])
- Changed the font to Verdana
- Equal left and right margins
- Added calendar icon to data entry date fields
New Help System for Banner 7
Banner 7 has improved the Help system. Please refer to New Banner Online Help for information about the new help system.
Main Menu Changes
Go Field Changed To Go To
The Go field has been renamed Go To. In addition, when your cursor is in the Go To field, you can use UpArrowKey and DownArrowKey to scroll through recently used forms.
F5Key Added As Alternative To Direct Access
Navigation between forms is improved. You can now press F5Key to navigate to a different form without leaving the form you are in. Direct Access is still available from the File menu. The UpArrowKey and DownArrowKey navigation also works in this field.
All Icons Now Visible In The Main Menu
The entire toolbar is now accessible from the Main Menu.
You can now launch a QuickFlow directly from the Go To field, rather than first being directed to the QuickFlow Form (GUAQFLW).
Help Center Link
The Help Center link accesses the SCT Banner Help Center. Refer to New Banner Online Help for information about the new help system.
- The Change Banner Password link goes to the Oracle Password Change Form (GUAPSWD), where you can change your password.
- The Check Banner Message link takes you to the Banner Message Form (GUAMESG), where you can view your messages. A green check mark appears next to the link when you initially log in and have pending messages, or whenever a new message arrives. The pop-up alert for new messages is no longer displayed.
- Personal links enable you to create up to six links to favorite URLs or often-used Banner objects. Refer to the Enhanced User Preferences section of this document for information about creating personal links.
Enhanced User Interface
For this release, many changes were made to improve the usability of Banner forms. All Banner forms and menus have been changed to be more streamlined, modern, and easier to use.
Some Banner forms now have a tabbed interface rather than the traditional Banner window appearance. Tabs are used to arrange information in a meaningful way, and allow you to navigate easily between groups, or blocks, of information. You can use the NextBlockIcon (Next Block) and PreviousBlockIcon (Previous Block) functions, click on the tab, or use Ctrl and Tab, to navigate through blocks. Tab titles reflect the contents of a particular window or grouping of information. The illustration below shows the tabs on the SPAIDEN form, for instance.
Use any of the following to navigate within tabbed forms:
- Ctrl + Tab moves forward and Ctrl + Shift + Tab moves backward through the tabs on a form.
- The List Tab Pages key (F2Key) displays a list of other tabbed windows on the form. Use the mouse or UpArrowKey and DownArrowKey to select a different tab, and Enter to select that tab. For forms that have tabs within a tabbed window, navigation is based on the location of the cursor when List Tab Pages (F2) is selected.
- NextBlockIcon (Next Block) or Ctrl + PageDownKey moves forward and PreviousBlockIcon (Previous Block) or Ctrl + PageUpKey moves backward through the tabs (the same as Banner 6).
New Screen Resolution Makes More Data Visible
Banner 6 ran in a screen resolution of 800x600. Banner 7 now runs in a screen resolution of 1024x768, allowing ample room to display user interface components and eliminate many scrolling or stacked canvases. If the new Banner screen does not fit inside your Windows screen, you may need to change your screen resolution. See the next section for instructions.
Change Screen Resolutions In Any Version Of Windows
- Right-click on a blank area of your desktop, and select Properties from the pop-up list.
- On the Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab.
- In the Screen Resolution area, drag the slider to the right until it says 1024 by 768 pixels.
- Click OKButton.
New Toolbar Icons For Banner 7
Toolbar icons have a different layout in Banner 7. Icon pictures have changed; some icons have been moved for better grouping; while others have been added or removed.
- The Broadcast Message button becomes enabled when new system-wide message(s) are available.
- The Fine-Grained Access Control Security button becomes enabled if there are any FGAC rules active for the user in the database.
- The Graph Information and Show Keys buttons have been removed.
- The Banner Bookshelf button has been removed. You must install Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 and create a shortcut to N:/Banner/V7/Doc/bkshlf7x.pdf. See Banner 7 Changes on the go/inb website for more details.
Disabled Text Easier To Read
Disabled text is now black (the same as regular text), making it easier to read.
Options Available With Right Mouse Click
|The right mouse button now provides added functionality in Banner 7. Available options can now be accessed by right-clicking on a blank area of the form (not on a field). This pop-up list contains Rollback, Save, Exit, Print, and Add to Personal Menu as well as any form-specific options, both within the form (moving to blocks) or opening up a new form (see illustration at right).
Note: You can add any form to your My Banner menu with a single click. To see a newly-added menu item you must refresh the menu by clicking the Menu link on the Banner Main Menu.
A new smart toolbar has been added. This toolbar does not re-draw each time a form is opened, making the transition from one form to another faster.
Enhanced User Preferences
Access the enhanced user options on the Main Menu as follows:
- From the File menu, select Preferences.
- In the Go To field, type GUAUPRF and then press Enter.
New Alert Options
New Alert Options (on the Display Options tab) enable you to customize how you are prompted by Banner for the following:
- Prompt Before Exiting Banner‚ÄîCheck this box if you want Banner to verify that you want to quit the Banner session before exiting. Unchecking the box will allow you to exit without being asked for confirmation.
- Display Additional Confidential Alert‚ÄîCheck this box if you want Banner to display an extra Confidential message for records that contain confidential information.
- Display Additional Deceased Alert‚ÄîCheck this box if you want Banner to display an extra Deceased message for records associated with a deceased person.
User-Defined Window Colors
You can use the User Interface Color Settings (on the Display Options tab) to customize the color of the following items:
- Buttons, such as CancelButton and OKButton (buttons in the toolbar are not included)
- Canvas (background space) of all forms
- Record highlighting
- Scroll and separator bars
- Code/Description prompts
- Canvases within the Main Menu, including the broadcast message, menu, and menu tree canvases
To change the color of an item at the user level:
- From the File menu, select Preferences. Make sure the Display Options tab is selected. Make your changes on the User Interface Color Settings section on the right.
- For the item you want to change, click the NextRecordIcon in the User Value field. The Select color dialog box opens.
- On the Swatches tab, you can choose a pre-defined color.
- On the HSB tab, you can create your own shade by using HSB values (Hue Saturation Brightness).
- On the RGB tab, you can create your own shade using RGB values (Red Green Blue).
- Click OKButton.
- Click SaveIcon (Save) or press F10 to save your changes.
Note: Please be cautious about changing canvas or text colors. The text color and canvas color can NOT be the same. If they are, you will no longer be able to read the text!
We recommend you work with the default color settings for a short while to get used to the new displays before you begin making changes.
Ability To Add Personal Links To The Banner Main Menu
You can now add personal links to the Banner Main Menu. You can add links to web sites or Banner forms.
To add or change Personal Links:
- From the File menu, select Preferences.
- Click the My Links tab.
- Enter a name for the link you want to change in the User Value field.
- Enter the URL (actual web address) or form name for the link you want to change in the next User Value field.
- Click SaveIcon (Save) or press F10 to save your changes.
Note: You can create up to six personal links. Each personal link has two records‚Äîthe description and the URL/object. Make sure you do not have pop-ups blocked with third-party software. Google‚Äôs pop-up blocker may be bypassed by holding down Ctrl and then clicking your personal link.
Blue Item Labels Replaced With Banner 7 Search Icon [[Image:]]
Formerly, blue field names indicated that the field had an LOV. Now, both LOV fields and fields that are searchable have the Banner 7 Search icon next to them. You can still have the blue field name appear if you would like. You can change the color of Code/Description Prompt fields in the User Interface Color Settings section of the Display tab on the Preferences dialog box. Change the Enter the RGB color for code/description prompts setting. See the section on User-Defined Window Colors for instructions.
Banner 7 Uses The Verdana Font
Banner 7 uses the Verdana font for all text.
Equal Left And Right Margins
Banner 7 forms now have equal left and right margins. Banner 6 forms were off-center.
Calendar Icon Added To Data Entry Date Fields
A new calendar icon (CalendarIcon) has been added to date fields. Formerly, you could double-click inside the date field (which you can still do) but now it is more obvious that you can select a date from a calendar to populate the Date field.
New Banner Online Help
Release 7.0 features a new online help system with information about forms and fields, and the tasks you can perform with Banner. Help runs in a second web browser, therefore pop-up blockers will the use of the Help option.
There are three ways to access it:
- Click HelpIcon on the toolbar.
- From the Help menu, select Online Help.
- Click the Help Center link on the Main Menu.
Note: For forms with no help, the Banner online help error page may not appear for Internet Explorer users who use IE‚Äôs ‚Äúfriendly‚Äù error messages by default.
For optimal performance in IE do the following:
- In Internet Explorer, select Internet Options from the Tools menu.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Clear the checkbox for the Show friendly HTTP error messages option.
- Click OK-button.
Accessing Online Help From A Form
OnlineHelpIcon (Online Help) and the Help menu option initially display information about the form on which you are working.
Accessing The Help Center
If you want information about forms and tasks for another Banner product, use the Help Center link on the Main Menu of Banner, or from anywhere within the help system.
Features Of Online Help
You can browse, search, and use the index to locate topics in online help.
- Browsing for topics - The Contents tab and the bread crumb trail enable you to browse for topics. Form and field information is organized by Banner module. Task information is contained under the Procedures heading.
- Searching for topics - The Search tab allows you to search for topics within the help system. You can also use your browser‚Äôs search feature to find specific text on a help page (from the Edit menu, select Find on this page.)
- Using the index - The Index tab provides an alphabetical listing of topics within the help system. When you enter the letters of a topic, the index scrolls through the topics to the closest alphabetical match.
Tool Bar Buttons And Shortcuts In Banner 7
|=== Function ===||=== Key Stroke Shortcut ===
Assigning A Proxy For Time Approvals
Time Entry Approvers can assign another employee as a proxy to approve time sheets in their absence. Proxies must be configured with appropriate security parameters set. There are two options available for requesting and setting up proxy(s).
Time Entry Approver should contact the appropriate department email or extension with the information listed below:
1. Employee(s) being assigned as proxy.
2. Employee(s) for which proxy should have approval authority.
For Staff approval, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or ext. 5156.
For Student approval, please contact Student Employment at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 5377.
Please allow a minimum of 24 hours (excluding weekends) for your request to be processed.
1. Contact Human Resources providing them with the name(s) of your proxy or proxies, and the employee(s) for which they should have approval authority. Allow the time they request for configuration of security parameters.
2. To log into Banner, type go/inb in the Address field of your browser and press Enter.
3. Click the link for the Production database. The Logon dialog box opens.
4. Complete the Logon dialog box as follows:
a. In the Username field, type your username.
b. In the Password field, type your password.
c. Click Connect.
5. In the Go To field of GUAGMNU, type NTRPROX and press Enter. The Electronic
Approval Proxy Rules NTRPROX form opens.
6. From the Options menu, select Time Entry Proxy. The Alternate Logon Verification Form opens.
7. Your username should appear in the Alternate User ID field. In the Alternate Password field, type your Banner password.
8. Click Verify. The Time Entry Proxies form opens.
9. Enter the Proxy ID of the person you want to designate as a proxy in one of the two following ways:
a. Enter their username:
a. In the Proxy ID field, type the username of the person you want to be a proxy.
b. Press Tab. The full name of the person populates the Name field.
b. Search for the Proxy ID.
a. Click NextRecord-down-arrow to locate the Proxy ID.
b. Use the scroll bar to view the list of available proxies.
c. Double-click your selection to populate the Proxy ID and Name fields.
10. Press Key_Down if additional proxies are desired and repeat the procedure above.
11. If you make a mistake and want to remove a Proxy ID:
a. Select the Proxy ID to be deleted.
b. Click RemoveRecord (Remove Record).
12. When you are finished, click Save (Save).
13. Click Exit (Exit).
Finished Proxy List
- The GOtionary