Telephone Services customer service number = 802-443-5700
Registering Your Blackberry
If you want your Blackberry added to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, you must arrange for an unlimited data plan with your wireless carrier. If you do not have an unlimited plan, either their customer service or the store rep can explain what needs to be done to allow your BlackBerry to communicate with your Outlook account.
Contact Middlebury College’s Telephone Services office at x5700 and ask to be added to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. You will be given a password.
Once that has been done, perform the following procedure to set up your BlackBerry.
- Click Setup Wizard icon, which is usually the first icon at the desktop/home screen on your BlackBerry.
- If you don’t find this on the home screen, press the Menu key and click Setup Wizard. You should find yourself at Device Setup and Personalization, click on Email setup.
- Click Next through the screens, stopping to change the time zone in the date/time screen.
- On the screen where you are asked to select an email setup option, select I want to use a work email account with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
- On the next screen, selectYes indicating you have been given a password.
- Enter your email address and the password given to you by Telephone Services. Do NOT use your Middlebury College e-mail password. The password given to you is good for four tries. If you go beyond four attempts contact Telephone Service to ask them to reset it.
- Press the menu key.
- Select activate.
- Watch the screen.
- You should see arrows in the upper right corner coming and going. You should also see an hourglass icon spinning in the middle of the screen at times.
- You should see one line appear immediately, indicating it’s trying to activate.
- Within a couple of minutes, you should have several lines indicating that it’s working on activating.
- Keep watching. You may get a window indicating activation is complete, it is not.
- You should see a screen indicating a list of items being activated (addresses, calendar, etc). If you don’t, click the escape key.
- At the top of the screen, there should be a percentage of completed activation. Keep checking until it reaches 100%. This can take as little as 5 minutes or more than an hour, depending on how much data is being processed.
- Confirm e-mail, addresses, appointments, and tasks are on your BlackBerry.
If you don’t get past the point of the first line appearing on the screen (and you don’t see arrows coming & going in the upper left corner or the hourglass turning) after several minutes, cancel the activation and try again. If, after a couple of tries, your BlackBerry isn’t being activated, call your wireless carrier customer support and confirm you’re on an unlimited data plan for BlackBerry Enterprise Server. If they confirm you are, ask to be transferred to tech support for assistance.