The Multi-Media Essay
The Multi-Media Essay
New technologies of digital video production – movies on DVD, DV cameras, and non-linear editing programs like Final Cut – enable film scholars to “write” with the very materials that constitute their object of study: moving images and sounds. But such a change means rethinking the rhetorical modes traditionally used in scholarly writing, and supplementing them with a new concern with aesthetics. In this course, we will experiment with producing a new form of multi-media criticism, one demonstrating that scholarship can itself adopt cinema’s alluring poetics without abandoning the traditional essay’s knowledge effect.
The Multi-Media Essay production assignment will incorporate media capture, editing, remixing, publishing. Students will work individually to complete a Multi-Media Essay. Students enrolled in Storytelling will have 24 hour access to the computers in the FMMC Multimedia Lab, FMMC Advanced Edit Suite, and FMMC Viewing Room and can check out FMMC Equipment from the Equipment Room.
The Multi-Media Essay Facilities
The Multi-Media Essay Tutorials
Final Cut Pro
The Multi-Media Essay Media Storage
These options are found on any of the 13 Mac Pro Towers in the basement of Axinn. All course work should be saved to the Xsan_Media drive. Nightly backups of project files should also be saved to the Workspace drive.
- Macintosh HD - DO NOT SAVE ANYTHING HERE!
- Workspace - This is a 500GB drive that is intended for temporary storage of large media files. This drive is erased at the end of each semester and is not suitable for extended archived storage. This drive is physically installed in each workstation and the contents/files can only be accessed by that workstation. When saving to this drive please Use the following folder structure: Workspace/Your_Name/Your_Project/Your_Files.
- Xsan_Media - This is a centralized media server with a very large storage capacity. The drive is not physically located within the workstation, but the Xsan_Media icon appears on each workstation as a local drive and the contents of this drive can be accessed from any of the workstations in the basement. The following folder structure will be created automatically upon login: Xsan_Media/Course/Your_Name/ Please organize projects by "Project_Name" within the "Your_Name" folder.
- The WiebeTech 200GB portable hard drives are available for extended checkout for courses that meet in Axinn 105 and do not have access to the Xsan Server or for Independent Study students.
- CD's and DVD's are available in the equipment office in support of curricular uses such as screenings and presentations. For all other uses CD's and DVD's can be purchased at the campus bookstore.
LIS has several File Servers available for student use.