Troubleshooting Banner and BannerWeb
- 1 Banner
- 2 BannerWeb
- 2.1 BannerWeb - Printing Unofficial Transcripts
- 2.2 Viewing Grant Budget Data In BannerWeb
- 2.3 Information for Faculty on Using BannerWeb
- 2.4 How do I reset my BannerWeb PIN?
- 2.5 BannerWeb page cannot be displayed
- 2.6 Common Registration Errors in BannerWeb
Under our official policy, we only fully support INB with Internet Explorer 6 and 7 (see up to date compatibility info here http://go.middlebury.edu/inb ). Recommend INB with Firefox only when Explorer is not working. (See below.) Internet Explorer 8 does NOT work with INB.
Banner (INB) crashes while loading
- Very important to keep in mind: Firefox can be used as a temporary solution, however we need to fully troubleshoot Internet Explorer and make it work for the customer.
- Remove toolbars: Go to Add/Remove Programs, remove all third-party toolbars (Google, Yahoo, Skype, etc.) from Internet Explorer and from Firefox, then try INB again. (Java updates, and updates of many other apps, try to install 3rd-party toolbars for you.)
- Remove Java and Oracle JInitiator. Under Add/Remove Programs, remove all instances of Oracle JInitiator; then re-install by installing the ActiveX control on the Production site. Also, remove all old versions of Java listed under Add/Remove Programs, and update Java to the newest version using the Java icon in the Control Panel.
- Try it on Firefox 3 if IE still doesn't work. firefox.com to install. When you go to INB -> Production in Firefox, it won't be able to find the plugin automatically; click "Manual Install" and it should bring you to the JInitiator install page.
- Try making a new shortcut on desktop (right-click on the Desktop, click "New", then click "Shortcut", then paste the following):
"c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http://go.middlebury.edu/inb?prod(include the quotes and make sure it's ALL on one line -- including the go.middlebury part). There's a detailed article on Creating a Shortcut for INB. for whatever reason this works fine, but going to the college homepage then going to inb, fails. using a favorite shortcut/bookmark also fails.
There is a much more detailed article under Troubleshooting Banner INB Crashes.
Unable to use "Extract Data No Key" function
This bug only happens in Internet Explorer. *.middlebury.edu needs to be added to trusted sites.
- Details: INB Error Extract Data No Key
INB and Windows Live Toolbar
In case our GO server is down, the direct link to BannerWeb is https://emerald.middlebury.edu/PNTR/twbkwbis.P_WWWLogin? . Also see this page for a List of direct links to vital services.
Forgotten PIN As long as a user's access has not been disabled by trying the wrong PIN too many times, a user can reset his PIN using the "Forgot PIN?" button at http://go.middlebury.edu/bannerweb. He'll need to answer the security question he (should have) set up.
Lockouts A user who enters the wrong PIN in too many times is locked out of his account permanently until he comes to us to get his PIN reset.
BannerWeb - Printing Unofficial Transcripts
While bannerweb can display your transcript, the transcript is for reference only and a printout of that screen would not be considered official by an outside party (prospective employer, another institution etc).
LIS does not support printing of transcripts. Any questions related to this should be forwarded to the registrar's office.
Viewing Grant Budget Data In BannerWeb
This document is accessible on the following page: http://www.middlebury.edu/academics/lis/help/helpdesk/documentation/banner/finance/rd_bannerweb_fac_grants.htm
Tracking details: Author: Linda Knutson Revised: 12/18/2007
Information for Faculty on Using BannerWeb
Link to information for faculty on how to use BannerWeb (created by the Registrar's Office):
Author: Petar Mitrevski
How do I reset my BannerWeb PIN?
If you forgot your BannerWeb PIN, go to BannerWeb: http://go.middlebury.edu/banner enter in your 8-digit ID number and click "Forgot PIN". This option is only valid if you have created a security question. You will be prompted to answer your security question, if you do so correctly, you will be asked to create a new PIN. If you do not have a security question, or you cannot answer it correctly, you'll have to contact the Helpdesk (x2200) to have them reset your BannerWeb PIN.
BannerWeb (not Internet Native Banner)
Tracking details: Author: P.M. Revised: 11/04/2007
BannerWeb page cannot be displayed
Unless there is a known all-campus BannerWeb outage, here's the fix:
- Click on Tools => Options => Click the Advanced Tab
- Make sure TLS and SSL3 are checked, SSL2 checked if IE6
Common Registration Errors in BannerWeb
If there were any problems with adding courses to your schedule, a list of courses with error messages will appear. Always check the "Status" field next to each course after you "submit" to see that you are "Web Registered" or to determine the specific error.
Possible Error Messages
|Major Restriction||The course is restricted by a major(s) category that you do not match. Choose another course or request a waiver of the restriction from the instructor. If the instructor grants you an override of this restriction, you will still need to register for this course on-line.|
|Class Restriction||The course is restricted by a class category that you do not match. Choose another course or request a waiver of the restriction from the instructor. If the instructor grants you an override of this restriction, you will still need to register for this course on-line.|
|Prerequisite Restriction||You do not have the required prerequisites to take this course. Choose another course or request a waiver of the restriction from the instructor. If the instructor grants you an override of this restriction, you will still need to register for this course on-line.|
|Closed/xxxWaitlist||The course is closed and has a waitlist. You may choose to put yourself on a waitlist for a closed course. If you are contacted when a seat opens in the course, you will need to have an Add Card signed by the instructor and bring it to the Registrars Office.|
|Closed/Reserved||The course is closed for registration. Any seats left are reserved for the incoming First Year students.|
|Closed Section||The course is closed for registration and no waitlist will be activated. If a student later drops this course, the first student to add during the registration period will be able to register for the course.|
|Link errors||Enrollment in the lecture section requires registration in the lab/discussion/screening etc. as well or vice versa. Add the course again by entering the CRNs for all component parts of the course at the same time. The Link Error message means that youve tried to register for part of a course but not all of the required components. You can find the missing pieces by using the Schedule Type search option. Heres a quick reference of what to look for:
LINK ERROR: B1 REQUIRED, you need a section with the Schedule Type of Lab. B2, likely specific lecture requires a specific lab section e.g., with the same instructor. LINK ERROR: D1 REQUIRED, you need a section with the Schedule Type of Discussion. LINK ERROR: L1 REQUIRED, you need a section with the Schedule Type of Lecture. LINK ERROR: P1 REQUIRED, you need a section with the Schedule Type of Pre-Lab. LINK ERROR: S1 REQUIRED, you need a section with the Schedule Type of Screening. LINK ERROR: Y1 REQUIRED, you need a section with the Schedule Type of Drill 1. LINK ERROR: Z1 REQUIRED, you need a section with the Schedule Type of Drill 2.
|Approval Required||Enrollment requires permission of the instructor. Once requested, check your BannerWeb for Student page to see if granted and then return to register for the course.|
|College Restriction||You are currently recorded as studying abroad next term. If you have changed plans, please contact the Office of Off-Campus Study. If this is not the case, notify the Registrar.|
|Maximum Hours Exceeded||Registration is limited to 4 credits. 5th courses must be added by add card submitted to the Registrars Office as per the Handbook guidelines for taking a 5th course.|
|Repeat Hours Exceeded||Courses may not be repeated for credit.|
|Time Conflict with CRNxxxxx||Time conflicts are not permitted. Choose another course or re-work your schedule.|
|Course is not Available||Course is not offered in the coming term.|
|Duplicate CRN||You have accidentally entered the same CRN twice. Check and re-enter as necessary.|
BannerWeb And NZERROR=28863
There seem to be a number of clients attempting to connect using older Netscape browsers, and getting error messages.
The following error appears in the BannerWeb (SSB) web server event_log:
[02/Dec/2005:03:45:29 +0000] [warning 11904] [ecid: -] SSL handshake fails NZERROR 28863
Older browser with weaker encryption than web server.
1. Oracle MetaLink Note 18962.1
Subject: Connecting Via SSL To Webcache Fails Last Revision Date: 16-JUN-2002
Web Cache with Netscape Communicator
- symptom: Cannot connect via SSL to webcache
- symptom: event_log contains errors
- symptom: SSL Handshake Failed NZERROR=28863
- symptom: Netscape browers earlier than version 4.75 fail
- symptom: Fails with 40 bit Export Browsers
- symptom: 128 bit browsers work
- cause: Bug 2113419: USE EXPORT VERSION NETSCAPE BROWSER CAUSES SSL HANDSHAKE FAILED.
- Any browser that uses weak security i.e <56bit will fail to connect to webcache.
- To check the level of encryption the browser supports go to http://www.fortify.net and then click SSLCHECK.
Either recreate the certificate with a 512bit key,
Or upgrade all browsers to 128bit. This is the preferred option as reducing to 512bit keys is less secure and the existing browsers would still be using weak