Applications for Windows
A list of free, useful tools for Windows.
- Unknowndevices Lists a computer's PCI devices to help you get the right drivers for them. The Windows Device Manager doesn't always tell you the specifics.
- Portable service toolkit - Computer Repair Utility Kit - will be on the Flash drives in the walk-in.
Office & PDFs
- Foxit Reader Small, fast PDF reader, alternative to Adobe Reader.
- PDF Split And Merge - small graphical utility for Windows, OSX and Linux, to split & merge PDFs.
- OpenOffice - Free alternative to MS Office for guests or off-campus users. Now very stable & very usable on Windows, Linux, or Mac. Can save to native Microsoft Office formats too.
Cleaning & files
- CCleaner Cleans temp files, junk files, etc. to speed up computer.
- Recuva Light, easy data recovery tool. For example, this can recover pictures deleted from a camera.
Protection & security
- AVG Antivirus Free antivirus software, for when we can't or don't want to install SAV on someone's computer.
- SpywareBlaster Generates blacklists of known unsafe sites and unsafe items so that you will be protected from these threats in IE / Firefox.
- Symantec AntiVirus (make sure you’ve uninstalled other antivirus programs): go/antivirus
Applications for Mac OS X
A list of free, useful tools for Macs.
- The Unarchiver A much more capable replacement for “BOMArchiveHelper.app”, the built-in archive unpacker program in Mac OS X.