VPN Setup for Windows
Revision as of 12:36, 24 November 2009 by Linda Knutson (New page: ==== Set up for the native VPN Client on Windows XP ==== # Click on the '''Start''' menu. # If you see a menu with the title “Settings”, go there first, then proceed to the next step....)
Set up for the native VPN Client on Windows XP
- Click on the Start menu.
- If you see a menu with the title “Settings”, go there first, then proceed to the next step. If you do not see this menu, simply go to the next step.
- Click on Control Panel.
- Under “Control Panel” find and open “Network Connections”.
- From the menu titled “File” select “New Connection”.
- The “New Connection Wizard” will open. Click “Next”.
- Choose “Connect to the network at my workplace” and click “Next”.
- Select the “Virtual Private Network connection” and click “Next”.
- Enter “MiddVPN” (for the company or connection name) and click “Next”.
- If asked to “Automatically dial” a connection, choose “Do not dial the initial connection”.
- For the Host Name or IP address enter: 220.127.116.11 Click “Next”.
- Choose not to use a smart card, if asked by the wizard.
- Select the “Anyone’s use” usage option, then click “Next”.
- Check the “Add a shortcut to my desktop” box, and click “Finish”.
- If asked, enter your username and password to start the VPN connection.
- To connect in the future: double click the shortcut named “MiddVPN” on the Desktop and enter your username and password.
Set up for the native VPN Client on Windows Vista
- Click on the Start button and click Control Panel.
- Select the Network and Sharing Center (if this option is not available immediately, first select Network and Internet)
- In the left navigation area under Tasks – click on Set up a connection or network
- Select Connect to a workplace and click Next.
- If prompted to use an existing connection, choose No, create a new connection and click Next.
- Click on Use my Internet connection (VPN).
Note: if you do not have a current connection to the Internet, the following directions may not apply. Please connect to the Internet before following these instructions.
- Enter the IP address and a name for the connection as listed below and click on Next.
- Enter your Middlebury College username, the password for that account, and MIDD as the domain. Then click on Connect.
- A screen displaying the text “You are connected” will appear when the VPN connection has been established.
- Return to the Network and Sharing Center to disconnect the VPN connection as needed. Click on Manage network connections in the same location to establish future VPN connections.