Difference between revisions of "Weeding, Deaccessioning, Withdraw, Replacements"
|Line 55:||Line 55:|
Revision as of 11:40, 9 January 2013
Criteria Used When Considering Items to Withdraw
Learn more about the criteria we use here.
Items Withdrawn by Way of Staff Weeding
- Before deaccessioning library items, review Criteria Used When Considering Items to Withdraw, (see above).
- Notify Collections Management (CM) with the estimated start date of your deaccessioning work along with an estimate of the number of titles to be withdrawn.
- Place items with yellow WITHDRAW flags in CM workspace (or other mutually agreed upon location)
Items Withdrawn by Way of Staff Weeding at the Davison Science Library
- Recycle books/journals at Bi Hall
- Send an email or spreadsheet list to Collections Management staff with the following details: [Title], [Call number], [years/volumes being withdrawn], [years of bound volumes being retained (if any)]
Internal Withdrawal Workflow Steps for CM
- CM changes b-code 3 to “d” (delete).
- See steps 4-7 below.
Most missing items are reported to CM by Circulation. See their documentation for Missing Item Replacement.
- Circulation notifies Acquisitions of titles to be replaced.
- Circulation notifies Catalog Management (CM) staff of titles to be withdrawn.
- Acquisitions searches for lost items/replaces item.
- CM changes b-code 3 to “d” (delete). This suppresses the record from the public catalog and notifies Summon when records have been deleted.
- Delete item records.
- Weekly update files of revised records are sent to Serials Solutions.
- After weekly update file, MARC records marked "d" can be deleted.
Updating OCLC Holdings for Withdrawn Items
MARC record contains 001: Do not update OCLC manually (this will be automated by CM)
MARC record *does not* contain 001: Update OCLC manually
General Rules for Added Copies
Withdraw already owned only if it is lost or damaged
General Rules for Added Editions
- Withdraw previous editons for medical, legal, or other fields where information can beome obsolete
- If checked out 3 or more times keep previous edition
- Withdraw previous edition if new edition is revised or updated with new information
- Fiction/poetry: keep previous edition
- Translation into a different language: keep previous edition
- REF: If previous edition lives in REF, ask appropriate liaison if that one is to be moved to stacks or withdrawn. Newest editions will replace the edition currently in REF.