Weeding, Deaccessioning, Withdraw, Replacements
Revision as of 14:01, 20 December 2012 by Rebekah Irwin (talk | contribs) (→[Criteria used when Considering Items to Withdraw])
Most missing items are reported to CM by Circulation. See their documentation for Missing Item Replacement.
- Circulation notifies Acquisitions of titles to be replaced.
- Circulation notifies Catalog Management (CM) staff of titles to be withdrawn.
- Acquisitions searches for lost items/replaces item.
- CM changes b-code 3 to “d” (delete). This suppresses the record from the public catalog and notifies Summon when records have been deleted.
- Delete item records.
- Weekly update files of revised records are sent to Serials Solutions.
- After weekly update file, MARC records marked "d" can be deleted.
Updating OCLC Holdings for Withdrawn Items
MARC record contains 001: Do not update OCLC manually (this will be automated by CM)
MARC record *does not* contain 001: Update OCLC manually
Items Withdrawn by Way of Staff Weeding
- Before deaccessioning library items, review some of the criteria used to identify potential withdrawal items
- If more than a few titles are being withdrawn, notify CM with the estimated start date along with an estimate of scale in numbers
- Place items/truck with yellow WITHDREW flags in CM workspace
- CM changes b-code 3 to “d” (delete).
- See steps 4-7 above.
Items Withdrawn by Way of Staff Weeding at the Davison Science Library
- Recycle books/journals at Bi Hall
- Send an email or spreadsheet list to Collections Management staff with the following details: [Title], [Call number], [years/volumes being withdrawn], [years of bound volumes being retained (if any)]
General Rules for Added Copies
Withdraw already owned only if it is lost or damaged
General Rules for Added Editions
- Withdraw previous editons for medical, legal, or other fields where information can beome obsolete
- If checked out 3 or more times keep previous edition
- Withdraw previous edition if new edition is revised or updated with new information
- Fiction/poetry: keep previous edition
- Translation into a different language: keep previous edition
- REF: If previous edition lives in REF, ask appropriate liaison if that one is to be moved to stacks or withdrawn. Newest editions will replace the edition currently in REF.
Criteria used when Considering Items to Withdraw
- This page was last edited on 8 December 2022, at 23:08.
- About Library & ITS Wiki