Current Offerings & Upcoming Changes
No additional changes to our wireless networks have taken place since Wednesday, March 11.
We are giving people more time to switch from Midd-standard to the new MiddleburyCollege network. If you haven’t already done so, please take this opportunity to connect your wireless devices to MiddleburyCollege. If you encounter any difficulties, contact the Technology HelpDesk for assistance.
- MiddleburyCollege is the new, fast, and secure wireless network. A Middlebury username and password or guest account is required.
- MCPSK is the new wireless network for the limited devices that cannot connect to the MiddleburyCollege network.
- Midd-standard is used to allow access to campus visitors. It will be retired soon.
- The eduroam network is available for guests from participating institutions who don't have Middlebury credentials.
The MiddleburyCollege Wireless Network
This new and improved network is now available for use.
Connect your Windows 7 computer to MiddleburyCollege
- Click the wireless icon () located on the far right of the task bar along the bottom of your screen.
- Click MiddleburyCollege in the list, then click the Connect button.
- When the Windows Security Alert dialogue window appears, click the Connect button to accept the College's security certificate.
Connect your Windows 8.1 computer to MiddleburyCollege
- Swipe inward from the right of the screen, then tap Settings, OR if using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner, move the mouse pointer up, then click Settings.
- Tap or click the network icon ().
- Tap or click MiddleburyCollege, then tap or click Connect.
Connect your Mac OS X computer to MiddleburyCollege
- Click on the AirPort icon () on the right end of the menu bar at the top of your screen.
- Select MiddleburyCollege from the list.
- Enter your Middlebury College username and password OR your Middlebury Guest Account credentials then click JOIN.
- After a few seconds you will be prompted to accept the College’s security certificate. Click .
- You will be asked to supply login credentials having administrator access to the computer. Enter valid credentials, then click Update Settings.
Connect iOS devices to MiddleburyCollege
- From the Home screen of your iOS device, select Settings.
- From the Settings screen, select Wi-Fi.
- Make sure that Wi-Fi is ON, then select MiddleburyCollege from the Choose a Network... list.
- At the prompts, enter your Middlebury College username and password OR your Middlebury Guest Account credentials and then select Join.
- Click Accept for the securelogin.arubanetworks.com certificate.
- Wi-Fi should now reflect your connection to the MiddleburyCollege wireless network.
Connect Android devices to MiddleburyCollege
- Find and select Settings on the screen of your Android device.
- From the Settings screen, select Wi-Fi and make sure it is ON.
- Select MiddleburyCollege from the list of available networks.
- On the pop-up menu make sure that the following settings are made:
- Security - 802.1x EAP (leave as default)
- EAP method - PEAP (leave as default)
- Phase 2 authentication - MSCHAPV2
- CA certificate - unspecified (leave as default)
- Identity - Middlebury College username (OR Guest account email address)
- Anonymous identity - leave empty
- Password - your Middlebury College password (OR Middlebury Guest account password)
- Connect and you should be on the MiddleburyCollege network!
The GuestAccountCreation Wireless Network (coming soon)
Guests and others who do not have a username and password, either because they haven’t created an account or they have forgotten their password, will connect to this new, open wireless network designed strictly for this purpose. Connections are limited to intervals of 15 minutes.
Once a guest account has been created, the email address and password should be used to connect to the MiddleburyCollege wireless network.
How to Create a Guest Wireless Account
- Create Guest Wireless Account from On Campus (Printable Cheat Sheet - PDF format])
- Create Guest Wireless Account Before Visiting Campus
Forgot Your Guest Account Password?
From on campus, follow these steps to set a new password for your guest account.
The Midd-standard Wireless Network
IMPORTANT: This network will be RETIRING soon.
Visitors to campus who do not have Middlebury login credentials should use the Midd-standard network. This is an interim measure until our new GuestAccountCreation network becomes available.
Please contact the Helpdesk at 802.443.2200 for the key to connect to Midd-standard.
The MCPSK Wireless Network
This new network is now available for use.
This network is intended only for devices that cannot connect to the MiddleburyCollege wireless network, including the following: PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo DS, Kindle, and Nook.
The eduroam Wireless Network
Eduroam has become very popular at Colleges and Universities in Europe as a way for faculty, staff and students to be able to access the Internet wirelessly while visiting other participating institutions. As a participating member of Eduroam, we now offer wireless Internet access in a secure and reliable manner to Eduroam-participating school members without having to have them register ahead of time. Likewise, our faculty, staff and students will have wireless Internet access while visiting at other participating institutions.
You will know you are at a participating institution if you see a network called eduroam listed. To use eduroam when traveling, you will need to enter your full firstname.lastname@example.org and password.
Important note: While here on campus, Middlebury faculty, staff, and students do not benefit from use of the eduroam network. It is designed for guests and does not provide the access or speed that you enjoy when using midd_secure.
Configuring your wireless device for eduroam
- Please visit: https://www.eduroam.us/node/26 for configuration information covering a variety of operating systems.
- See https://confluence.terena.org/display/H2eduroam/endusers for additional documentation.
Additional eduroam resources
Retired Wireless Networks
- midd_secure was RETIRED on Wednesday, March 11, 2015.
Please use the new MiddleburyCollege wireless network.
- midd_unplugged was RETIRED on Tuesday, March 3, 2015.
Campus visitors should use the Midd-standard wireless network until our new GuestAccountCreation network is available later this month.
Locations of Wireless Networks
Main Campus Wireless Locations
Most buildings on campus have wireless access points.
Please contact the Technology Helpdesk at 802.443.2200 or submit a ticket to request wireless in an area that does not already have it.
Off-Campus Student Housing Wireless Locations
Most of the off-campus student houses have wireless routers, however service there is provided by other Internet Service Providers (ISPs), such as Comcast or Verizon.
Bread Loaf Campus Wireless Locations
Wireless is available at the following locations:
- Brandy Brook
- Caretaker's House
- Davison Library
- Earthworm Manor
- The Inn
- Little Theatre
Please note that other small houses along Route 125 (such as Cornwall) generally have useable wireless signals from adjacent buildings.
Snow Bowl Wireless Locations
Wireless is available at the following locations:
- Main Base Lodge
- Ski Patrol Cabin
See Also Wireless Troubleshooting