Difference between revisions of "Campus Technology Orientation: Getting Connected"
(→Wireless Network Information)
(→BannerWeb Access for Student)
|Line 126:||Line 126:|
== BannerWeb Access for
== BannerWeb Access for ==
== E-mail <br> ==
== E-mail <br> ==
Revision as of 17:18, 9 August 2010
- 1 Welcome
- 2 Contact Information
- 3 Managing your user login
- 4 Wireless support
- 5 BannerWeb Access for Students
- 6 E-mail
- 7 Printing
- 8 eLearning Online Course Environment
- 9 Digital Media Commons
- 10 William Tell Coleman Library
- 11 Lab & Media Services
This wiki is presented to provide important campus technology information.
ITS = Information Technology Services
LMS = Lab & Media Services
STS = Student Technology Services
DMC = Digital Media Commons
Important: Your email and network IDs and Passwords are located inside of your Orientation Packet. If you do not know your student ID or passwords please call the ITS Help Desk at 647-6656.
||Hours of Operation|
|Faculty & Staff, General IT questions, Exchange E-mail, Printing
||ITS Help Deskfirstname.lastname@example.org||Casa Fuente 320||Mon - Fri 9:00am - 5:00pm|
|Students' Laptops, wireless, printer, email setup; general student technology issues
||Student Technology Servicesemail@example.com||Casa Fuente 448, 1st Floor||Mon - Fri 9:00am - 5:00pm|
|Video/audio equipment check-out, file transfer and duplication
||Lab & Media Servicesfirstname.lastname@example.org||Morse Building A100, Lab & Media Services Center||Mon - Fri 8:00am - 8:00pm|
|Instructional technology, digital media project development, production, distribution and training||Digital Media Commonsemail@example.com||Kade Building, 2nd Floor
Managing your user login
Continuing Students:*Your user name for your network, wireless, First Class email, and Moodle eLearning course management system is your six digit student ID number. (Note: New Middlebury network and Exchange account names are generally first initial and last name. Your Middlebury account name will be given to you when you activate this account using your Banner ID).
- Changing your network password does not change your First Class or Moodle passwords. These must be set separately. Contact Student Technology Services for assistance.
- Users are required to have working and updated antivirus software installed on all computers and laptops that connect to the MIIS network.
- Users should keep all CDs and information that come with their laptop purchases, in case of troubleshooting and/or reinstallation needed.
- Users should back up their data regularly (use an external drive, such as USB flash drives), in case of system crash or hard drive failure.
How to Change your Network Password
You need to change your network password before you set up your laptop to the campus wireless network or install the network printers. There are two ways to do this:
1. Find any Windows-based campus computer and log on with your user ID and initial password. The initial password can be found in your orientation materials.
- Once logged in, press Control + Alt + Delete and choose "Change Password".
- Enter the current password and enter a desired password and then retype it to confirm. Press OK
2. Make an appointment at the Student Technology Services Center, Casa Fuente 448 on Pacific Street, 647-6425. Typical open hours are: Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Student assistants can help you through the process.
Student Technology Services Center
Student Technology Services provides limited technical assistance to all MIIS students.
- Anwser general technology related questions
- MIIS wireless setup on WiFi-enabled laptops and compatible handheld devices, such as iPhones
- General wireless computing and networking troubleshooting
- Printer installation/setup
- School e-mail setup
- Avast! 4Home Edition anti-virus installation and updating
Location and Hours
The Student Technology Services Center is located in Casa Fuente 448 on Pacific Street. Typical open hours are: Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Hours may change based on support staff availability. In order to guarantee availability, appointments are strongly recommended. To make an appointment for services, please visit or call 831-647-6425
Wireless Network Information
The MIIS wireless network is a Cisco network which consists of a WLAN Controller and forty access points that provide wireless coverage to most indoor and some outdoor areas on campus. MIIS students, faculty, and staff can enjoy mobility and flexibility accessing their emails, Internet, Intranet, and MIIS network resources from their wireless laptop computers and other WiFi-enabled mobile devices.
The wireless system supports 802.11g, 802.11b and 802.11a standards and is configured with three primary networks (SSIDs) named:
1. MIISAE – for Windows computers.
2. MIISMAC – for Mac computers
MIIS Authentication and Encryption; requires a network username and password; network communication is encrypted.
MIISAE&MIISMAC are a highly secured network. Strong WPA/ WPA2 encryption is only available on newer 802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11a network adapters and operation systems. Older wireless adapters and operating systems may not be able to use this encryption standard. We strongly recommend that users update their wireless adapters and operating systems (i.e. Windows XP with SP2, Mac OS with the latest patches) to take advantage of the new secured network.
3. MIISPDA – for handheld WiFi capable devices, e.g. iPhone. Secured network, requires a encryption Key (the key and setup instruction can be obtained upon request at the Student Technology Services)
BannerWeb Access for Students
All registered students are now provided with an Exchange e-mail account. Once your account is confirmed webmail can be accessed from any campus computer, or from any Internet-connected computer.
COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS TO CONVERT TO EXCHANGE ARE AVAILABLE AT Microsoft Exchange Email at MIIS
Transition from First Class System
- Exchange email accounts will replace legacy FirstClass email accounts.
- First Class will become inactive September 15th, 2009. After this date, you will still be able to access FirstClass and retrieve archived messages, but no new outside mail will be delivered to FirstClass.
- After September 15th, all email sent to @miis.edu addresses will be delivered directly to Exchange email accounts @exchange.miis.edu.
- You should temporarily set up forwarding on your FirstClass email account to your new Exchange account, so that you can receive mail from both @miis.edu and @exchange.miis.edu using your Exchange account during the summer.
Graduating Student E-mail Access
- Students graduating May 2009 will continue to have access to their new Exchange email accounts for a period of 6 months, which matches Middlebury’s retention policy for graduating students.
Questions? Contact ITS Help Desk
- Phone: 831-647-6656
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
After laptops are connected to the MIIS wireless network, students can set up their laptops to the wireless printers. There are four networked printers on campus for student laptop use.These high-speed printers can be found at several locations around campus.
- Student Technology Services - CF448 (Pacific Street level) in the Casa Fuente Building'
- William Tell Coleman Library - first floor and second floor
- Lab & Media Services in A100 Morse Building
Each individual student account is allocated a non-refundable dollar amount each semester for printing. With each printout, a charge is calculated against the student’s account based on the number of pages printed and type of printing (single-sided or duplex). Students may print up to the allocated amount without incurring additional expenses. Once the amount is reached for a semester, students can purchase additional printing through the Cashiers Office. Unused printing does rollover to the next term.
To install the printers on your laptop follow the specific directions for your operating system below.
You will need to enter your Local Network Username and Password during the installation.
Download Instructions for PC Computers
Download Instructions for MAC Computers
Help is located at Student Technology Services Located on Pacific Street.
STS is located in Casa Fuente 448 on Pacific Street.
Typical STS open hours are:
- Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Hours may change based on support staff availability. In order to guarantee STS availability, appointments are strongly recommended. To make an appointment for services, please visit the STS or call 831-647-6425.
Student Networked Drives
On campus students have access to networked drives. The student's personal drive is labeled as the H Drive. It holds up to 250 mb of space for students to use.
Here are detailed instructions on connecting (mapping) to the H Drive on your own computer
eLearning Online Course Environment
The eLearning site is available at http://elearning.miis.edu. The Institute is hosting Moodle as its course management system. You will see that the front page also acts as an information portal with an Institute Events calendar and RSS feed
- Continuing students can continue to login with their FirstClass email username and password or create a new profile with their Exchange e-mail username and password once activated.
- New students will login with their Exchange webmail ID and password.
Digital Media Commons
The Commons hosts workshops and topical conversations related to new media skills development and project planning. Mac computers are available for students' to use for digitial media project development and production.
Graduate Assistants are available by appointment for project consultations at email@example.com.
- Printing to paper is not available in this building.
William Tell Coleman Library
Phone: 831 647-4133 [http://www.miis.edu/lib/]
Located at the center of campus, the William Tell Coleman Library houses a print collection that supports teaching and research at the Monterey Institute of International Studies. The library is also the gateway to a wealth of online research materials.
There are several computers for students to use to do research or work on projects. you will need your NETWORK Username and Password to access these machines.
Spring Semester 2008 January 22 - May 8
Monday - Thursday 8:30 AM - 11:00 PM Friday 8:30 AM - 10:00 PM Saturday - Sunday 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM March 8 - 16 (Spring Break)
Saturday - Sunday, March 8 - 9 CLOSED Monday - Friday, March 10 - 14 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM Saturday - Sunday, March 15 - 16 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Other Links to Library Resources
Lab & Media Services
Our goal is to facilitate communication by providing service and support for media formats and instructional technology for classrooms and events on campus.
Coordinates Audio and Video equipment for classes, special events, and conferences.
Accesses satellite television programs: SCOLA target languages, TV Japan, and TV5 French are taped daily and are available in the Audio Visual Services office. (Both http://www.scola.org/ and www.dwelle.de>. (German) are available via streaming or Real Player on the Internet).
The following languages can be viewed in the Kade Center and the Sampson Center's media room: TV Japan, TV 5 French, NTV, NTV+ Russian, 10 Spanish Channels, Discovery en Espanol, GEMS, TVEI, TV Azteca, TV Chile, Telemuno Internacional, SUR, MTVS (MTV in Spanish), Cine Latino, Gran Canal Latin.
- Maintains a library of video tapes including foreign language movies.
- Schedules all audio visual equipment and duplicating facilities.
- Videos on reserve are available for checkout for a two-hour period.
- Overnight checkout is available for all other videos. (Video tape is due by 10 am the next morning).
- Offers Audio and Video dubbing services.
The policy for requests for Audio Visual Equipment and Services is as follows:
All requests for A/V equipment must be submitted to the A/V Center 3 days prior to the event/class.
For events after 5pm and/or on the weekend, requests for equipment/services must be submitted 2 weeks prior to the event.
For all A/V requests use the request form which is located as follows:
Connect to FirstClass and open the Help Folder.
Click on FirstClass Settings File (see FAQ to understand what a settings file is).
Doubleclick the attachment (home.fc) and choose "update".
Open "New Message Special" on the menu bar and choose "Room/AV Reservation".
Fill out the request form and send it to AV Center.
Hours of Operation:
Mon. - Fri.: 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
440 Van Buren Street Phone: 831-647-4150 Staff:
Email to Lab & Media Services directly:firstname.lastname@example.org