ITunes U Site Development
From MIIS WikiJump to navigationJump to search
Approved for iTunes U Public Presence
- Submitted for approval on Tuesday 11/19/2008
- Approved 12/15/2008
- Appeared in iTunes U Store on 12/23/2008
- Approved for iTunes U Public facing store
Requested Separate Public & Private iTunes U Spaces
- Kristen contacted Apple on 1/15/2009
- Asked Apple to create a Public Feature Page for our iTunes U
- Heard back from Apple on 1/16/2009; they verified that we know what a Public Feature Page is and wanted to make sure it's what we really want
- Kristen confirmed that we would like a Public Feature Page created for us
- This will give us access to the sleek three-column page design used by Stanford, Duke, University of Michigan, etc.
- This design allows users to search our content (rather than just browse)
- Will also allow us to sort content multiple ways
- This design is intended to be a visual cue that lets an iTunes U user know that he/she is visiting the Institute's public arena (as opposed to the place where class materials are kept)
- Keep in mind that the intended use is different than for our private site
- Kristen & Bob spoke with iTunes U rep on 3/2/2009 - convinced us that Public Feature Page is not for us
- Request for separate public space granted 3/5/2009
- Do I have to pay to access MIIS on iTunes U?
- What if I have Windows? Can I still install iTunes?
- How do I access MIIS on iTunes U?
- Is MIIS's content part of the iTunes Music Store?
- Can I access MIIS on iTunes U directly without first opening a browser?
- A podcast has images, but they do not appear when I play it. How can I see them?
- I can see other people's playlist in my iTunes. Did someone hack into my computer?
- What do I need to use iTunes U?
- Do I need an iPod to use iTunes U?
- Where can I download iTunes?
- How do I login to iTunes U?
- Is the MIIS on iTunes content under copyright protection?
- What is a podcast?
- How can I create my own podcast?
- Where in iTunes is the content I downloaded from MIIS on iTunes U?
- Can I use other mp3 players with iTunes?
- What else can I do using the iTunes software?
- I want to distribute a URL to something specific in iTunesU. Can I link directly to this content?
Created Launch/Support Page
- Several good examples:
Additional Work to be Done
Form an Editorial Board
- Look deeper into our iTunes U presence
- Act as a podcast content steering committee
- Shirley Coly
Decide Which Content Should Be Public vs. Private
- Create architecture for new Public Feature Page
- Rethink the architecture currently in place (this will become the private site)
Consider Crossposting Content from YouTube to iTunes U
- Make content available in both places
- Users can then choose their preferred information source
- YouTube to iTunes? | B. Mann Consulting
Establish Workflow & Style Guide
- Draft a support document that covers the following:
- Uploading to iTunes U
- Assigning topics to files ("Topics" can become a sidebar on the Public Feature Page)
- Establish guidelines for the following ID3 tags:
- Track name
- NO ACRONYMS on items that will be viewed by the public
Determine How Users will be Authenticated
- Schedule a conversation with Middlebury
- See what they are doing with iTunes U, how users are logging in
Define User Permissions
- Assign instructors to courses so that they can edit their own course content