Difference between revisions of "Minutes for 4/04/09"

From MIIS Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
 
Line 1: Line 1:
<html xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
+
xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word"
 
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
 
  
<head>
+
Digital Media Commons
<meta name=Title content="Digital Media Commons">
 
<meta name=Keywords content="">
 
<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=macintosh">
 
<meta name=ProgId content=Word.Document>
 
<meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 11">
 
<meta name=Originator content="Microsoft Word 11">
 
<link rel=File-List href="DMC%20Notes%20April%203_files/filelist.xml">
 
<title>Digital Media Commons</title>
 
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 
<o:DocumentProperties>
 
  <o:Author>Ryan Gonzalez</o:Author>
 
  <o:Template>Normal</o:Template>
 
  <o:LastAuthor>Ryan Gonzalez</o:LastAuthor>
 
  <o:Revision>2</o:Revision>
 
  <o:Created>2009-04-07T21:00:00Z</o:Created>
 
  <o:LastSaved>2009-04-07T21:00:00Z</o:LastSaved>
 
  <o:Pages>1</o:Pages>
 
  <o:Words>716</o:Words>
 
  <o:Characters>4084</o:Characters>
 
  <o:Lines>34</o:Lines>
 
  <o:Paragraphs>8</o:Paragraphs>
 
  <o:CharactersWithSpaces>5015</o:CharactersWithSpaces>
 
  <o:Version>11.0</o:Version>
 
</o:DocumentProperties>
 
<o:OfficeDocumentSettings>
 
  <o:AllowPNG/>
 
</o:OfficeDocumentSettings>
 
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 
<w:WordDocument>
 
  <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>
 
  <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>
 
  <w:UseMarginsForDrawingGridOrigin/>
 
</w:WordDocument>
 
</xml><![endif]-->
 
<style>
 
<!--
 
/* Font Definitions */
 
@font-face
 
{font-family:"Times New Roman";
 
panose-1:0 2 2 6 3 5 4 5 2 3;
 
mso-font-charset:0;
 
mso-generic-font-family:auto;
 
mso-font-pitch:variable;
 
mso-font-signature:50331648 0 0 0 1 0;}
 
@font-face
 
{font-family:"Courier New";
 
panose-1:0 2 7 3 9 2 2 5 2 4;
 
mso-font-charset:0;
 
mso-generic-font-family:auto;
 
mso-font-pitch:variable;
 
mso-font-signature:50331648 0 0 0 1 0;}
 
@font-face
 
{font-family:Wingdings;
 
panose-1:0 5 2 1 2 1 8 4 8 7;
 
mso-font-charset:2;
 
mso-generic-font-family:auto;
 
mso-font-pitch:variable;
 
mso-font-signature:0 0 256 0 -2147483648 0;}
 
/* Style Definitions */
 
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
 
{mso-style-parent:"";
 
margin:0in;
 
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
 
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
 
font-size:12.0pt;
 
font-family:"Times New Roman";}
 
table.MsoNormalTable
 
{mso-style-parent:"";
 
font-size:10.0pt;
 
font-family:"Times New Roman";}
 
@page Section1
 
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
 
margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
 
mso-header-margin:.5in;
 
mso-footer-margin:.5in;
 
mso-paper-source:0;}
 
div.Section1
 
{page:Section1;}
 
/* List Definitions */
 
@list l0
 
{mso-list-id:94712458;
 
mso-list-type:hybrid;
 
mso-list-template-ids:168696438 67698691 67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693;}
 
@list l0:level1
 
{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
 
mso-level-text:o;
 
mso-level-tab-stop:.5in;
 
mso-level-number-position:left;
 
text-indent:-.25in;
 
font-family:"Courier New";}
 
@list l1
 
{mso-list-id:926422643;
 
mso-list-type:hybrid;
 
mso-list-template-ids:-925866148 67698689 67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693;}
 
@list l1:level1
 
{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
 
mso-level-text:\F0B7;
 
mso-level-tab-stop:.5in;
 
mso-level-number-position:left;
 
text-indent:-.25in;
 
font-family:Symbol;}
 
@list l1:level2
 
{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
 
mso-level-text:o;
 
mso-level-tab-stop:1.0in;
 
mso-level-number-position:left;
 
text-indent:-.25in;
 
font-family:"Courier New";}
 
@list l1:level3
 
{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
 
mso-level-text:\F0A7;
 
mso-level-tab-stop:1.5in;
 
mso-level-number-position:left;
 
text-indent:-.25in;
 
font-family:Wingdings;}
 
@list l2
 
{mso-list-id:1429538634;
 
mso-list-type:hybrid;
 
mso-list-template-ids:-1493925798 67698691 67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693;}
 
@list l2:level1
 
{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
 
mso-level-text:o;
 
mso-level-tab-stop:.5in;
 
mso-level-number-position:left;
 
text-indent:-.25in;
 
font-family:"Courier New";}
 
@list l3
 
{mso-list-id:1535462975;
 
mso-list-type:hybrid;
 
mso-list-template-ids:1782862518 67698691 67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693;}
 
@list l3:level1
 
{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
 
mso-level-text:o;
 
mso-level-tab-stop:.5in;
 
mso-level-number-position:left;
 
text-indent:-.25in;
 
font-family:"Courier New";}
 
@list l3:level2
 
{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
 
mso-level-text:o;
 
mso-level-tab-stop:1.0in;
 
mso-level-number-position:left;
 
text-indent:-.25in;
 
font-family:"Courier New";}
 
@list l3:level3
 
{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
 
mso-level-text:\F0A7;
 
mso-level-tab-stop:1.5in;
 
mso-level-number-position:left;
 
text-indent:-.25in;
 
font-family:Wingdings;}
 
@list l3:level4
 
{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
 
mso-level-text:\F0B7;
 
mso-level-tab-stop:2.0in;
 
mso-level-number-position:left;
 
text-indent:-.25in;
 
font-family:Symbol;}
 
@list l3:level5
 
{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
 
mso-level-text:o;
 
mso-level-tab-stop:2.5in;
 
mso-level-number-position:left;
 
text-indent:-.25in;
 
font-family:"Courier New";}
 
ol
 
{margin-bottom:0in;}
 
ul
 
{margin-bottom:0in;}
 
-->
 
</style>
 
</head>
 
  
<body bgcolor=white lang=EN-US style='tab-interval:.5in'>
+
The Teaching and Learning Collaborative
  
<div class=Section1>
+
Meeting Minutes
  
<p class=MsoNormal><![if !supportEmptyParas]>&nbsp;<![endif]><o:p></o:p></p>
+
Notes by: Ryan Gonzalez
  
<p class=MsoNormal>Digital Media Commons<o:p></o:p></p>
+
Friday, April 3, 2009
  
<p class=MsoNormal>The Teaching and Learning Collaborative<o:p></o:p></p>
+
  
<p class=MsoNormal>Meeting Minutes<o:p></o:p></p>
+
  
<p class=MsoNormal>Notes by: Ryan Gonzalez<o:p></o:p></p>
+
Meeting Participants: Molly Ammons, DeVan Hankerson, Alan Lovewell, Pilar Chaves, Jeremy Robinson, Ryan Gonzalez, Bob Cole, Sarah Springer
  
<p class=MsoNormal>Friday, April 3, 2009<o:p></o:p></p>
+
  
<p class=MsoNormal><![if !supportEmptyParas]>&nbsp;<![endif]><o:p></o:p></p>
+
    * New cabinet will need conduit for wiring (electrical and peripheral), to put the hard drive inside
  
<p class=MsoNormal><![if !supportEmptyParas]>&nbsp;<![endif]><o:p></o:p></p>
+
  
<p class=MsoNormal>Meeting Participants:<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;
+
Headlines:
</span>Molly Ammons, DeVan Hankerson, Alan Lovewell, Pilar Chaves, Jeremy
 
Robinson, Ryan Gonzalez, Bob Cole, Sarah Springer<o:p></o:p></p>
 
  
<p class=MsoNormal><![if !supportEmptyParas]>&nbsp;<![endif]><o:p></o:p></p>
+
    * DeVan:  Going through Wiki to find tutorials, changing the way it looks… identified things that needed to be migrated, etc.  Lorraine started a new project for the Clinton Global Initiative… weave ideas into DM for change class.
 +
    * Alan:  Wed, Pilar talked about storage issue… make a print out, something to reference, something on a blog or a wiki… to give options and give students options for their own storage…
 +
          o “flash drive will give you this much space, external hard drive will give you x…, etc.”
 +
          o Facilitate students getting their own storage devices
 +
    * Pilar:  Two highlights….the workshop went well (digital imaging)
 +
          o Idea: A weekend long bootcamp style video editing workshop like the storytelling workshop, etc?
 +
          o Creativity and innovation class made some videos and was rewarding… Pilar has a copy of a video that Adam Rumack made.
 +
          o Thru-you website… a whole album of mashups of musicians from all over youtube, combining
 +
    * Jeremy: Has been reading up on copyright and fair use, etc.  will incorporate into digital media etiquette class.
 +
          o Used Picassa and Photoshop express for the imaging workshop… gimp will come in 3 weeks.
 +
          o Had 12 people at the workshop.
 +
          o Jeremy used gimp to make logo for his running team’s shirts for the mud run.
 +
    * Ryan:  Storytelling workshop, notebook full of notes would like to type or scan in.  Lots ot good tips on storytelling, wants to incorporate what learned into my current project.  Have a focus, storyboard, need to stick to key points, learning process, still working with Morita- trying to incorporate knowledge into the video.  Big take aways--- have tension in the story, “the bomb event” how the character changes after that, be more visual-show versus tell.  Sizzle vs. Inconvenient truth Arouse vs. fullfil.  Set up acts 1. Set up world 2. Change  3.
 +
          o “This American Life” uses examples of bringing in policy material to a broader audience.
 +
    * Molly:  Got two podcasts up on iTunes U.  Troubleshooting with GarageBand… locking tracks and jingles… too many tracks created a stuttering on her voice.
 +
          o Had interesting idea for digital notebooks all offline.. Pilar had a good idea to use Pages to incorporate papers so that material isn’t online.  Wants to give the portfolio to a professor on a CD.  Idea is to have a portfolio much like a magazine layout.  Using iDVD to show more multimedia focused portfolios.
 +
    * Bob:  Met with Ann Flower on Tuesday for an informal conversation and is really excited about “how to rock the library”.
 +
          o Focus group to rethink the library’s role… TLC and the library?
 +
          o Using sms to communicate and doesn’t have to be geographically loved down in a space near the printers…
 +
          o Wants to have a conversation about research, how people research and how they can do it better?  Formal vs. informal reseach…
  
<ul style='margin-top:0in' type=disc>
+
   
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level1 lfo1;tab-stops:list .5in'>New
 
    cabinet will need conduit for wiring (electrical and peripheral), to put
 
    the hard drive inside<o:p></o:p></li>
 
</ul>
 
  
<p class=MsoNormal><![if !supportEmptyParas]>&nbsp;<![endif]><o:p></o:p></p>
+
Notes:
  
<p class=MsoNormal>Headlines:<o:p></o:p></p>
+
    * Priority for today is storage and iMovie getting wiped out!
  
<ul style='margin-top:0in' type=disc>
+
    * iMovie workshop next week… helpful to tell people where to store their projects.
<li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level1 lfo1;tab-stops:list .5in'><b>DeVan:</b><span
+
          o We need to have all computers be able to access the network for video 2 but folder has been faulty.
    style='font-weight:normal'><span style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;
+
    * What is the best solution?
    </span>Going through Wiki to find tutorials, changing the way it looks…
+
          o DeVan:  Explain the complication with iMovie 08 and 09 and external storage….
    identified things that needed to be migrated, etc.<span
+
                + Involves the purchase of an external drive.
    style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>Lorraine started a new project for
+
                + iMovie 09 can save projects to an external drive as long as it’s formatted in MacOS.
    the Clinton Global Initiative… weave ideas into DM for change class.<o:p></o:p></span></li>
+
                + Project and library can be saved on external…. The “event”.
<li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level1 lfo1;tab-stops:list .5in'><b>Alan:</b><span
+
                + Problem: When people don’t have an external drive.
    style='font-weight:normal'><span style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;
+
                      # When logged out of guest account, all project files are deleted.
    </span>Wed, Pilar talked about storage issue… make a print out, something
+
                      # Do we want to have people’s files saved?
    to reference, something on a blog or a wiki… to give options and give
+
                      # Maintenance issue? Machines getting bogged down with too many extra files.
    students options for their own storage… <o:p></o:p></span></li>
+
                + Alan: Discusses with Pilar… a few flash drives to loan out as a last resort and giving people.  
<ul style='margin-top:0in' type=circle>
+
                + Can we create an account that doesn’t wipe out certain things?
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level2 lfo1;tab-stops:list 1.0in'>“flash
+
                      # Without additional software, how to do the auto-restore
      drive will give you this much space, external hard drive will give you
+
                      # Make an account that is a guest account with parental control
      x…, etc.”<o:p></o:p></li>
+
                      # Short-term solution is to have a new guest account.
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level2 lfo1;tab-stops:list 1.0in'>Facilitate
+
                            * Put a limit of a month on the project and then after the month, the project will be wiped out..
      students getting their own storage devices<o:p></o:p></li>
+
                            * How do we log projects? Can we follow-up?
</ul>
+
                            * Check to see when project was last modified?
<li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level1 lfo1;tab-stops:list .5in'><b>Pilar:<span
+
                + DeVan: At some point need to be hands on with the machines in order to be aware of what’s on the machines and then wipe them out periodically…
    style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span></b><span style='font-weight:normal'>Two
+
                + Video projects will be tied to one specific computer… create a 2-hr reservation system and bump people off machines?
    highlights….the workshop went well (digital imaging)</span><b><o:p></o:p></b></li>
+
                      # Micro-management of space? A self-managed thing?
<ul style='margin-top:0in' type=circle>
+
                + Talking to students and faculty about building in storage into the cost of school and explaining that media is large..
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level2 lfo1;tab-stops:list 1.0in'><i>Idea:<span
+
                + We need to work toward a network solution
      style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>A weekend long bootcamp style
+
    * The next step: Parental control managed account. Jeremy and Molly will work on creating new guest accounts with parental controls on Monday… That computer will no longer delete everything on the computer.
      video editing workshop like the storytelling workshop, etc?<b><o:p></o:p></b></i></li>
+
          o A step-by-step Google doc will be written so that we all know how the storage system works.
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level2 lfo1;tab-stops:list 1.0in'>Creativity
 
      and innovation class made some videos and was rewarding… Pilar has a copy
 
      of a video that Adam Rumack made.<b><i><o:p></o:p></i></b></li>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level2 lfo1;tab-stops:list 1.0in'>Thru-you
 
      website… a whole album of mashups of musicians from all over youtube,
 
      combining<b><i><o:p></o:p></i></b></li>
 
</ul>
 
<li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level1 lfo1;tab-stops:list .5in'><b>Jeremy:</b><span
 
    style='font-weight:normal'><span style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;
 
    </span>Has been reading up on copyright and fair use, etc.<span
 
    style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>will incorporate into digital
 
    media etiquette class.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span></span><b><i><o:p></o:p></i></b></li>
 
<ul style='margin-top:0in' type=circle>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level2 lfo1;tab-stops:list 1.0in'>Used
 
      Picassa and Photoshop express for the imaging workshop… gimp will come in
 
      3 weeks.<b><i><o:p></o:p></i></b></li>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level2 lfo1;tab-stops:list 1.0in'>Had
 
      12 people at the workshop.<b><i><o:p></o:p></i></b></li>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level2 lfo1;tab-stops:list 1.0in'>Jeremy
 
      used gimp to make logo for his running team’s shirts for the mud
 
      run.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span><b><i><o:p></o:p></i></b></li>
 
</ul>
 
<li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level1 lfo1;tab-stops:list .5in'><b>Ryan:<span
 
    style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span></b><span style='font-weight:normal'>Storytelling
 
    workshop, notebook full of notes would like to type or scan in.<span
 
    style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>Lots ot good tips on storytelling,
 
    wants to incorporate what learned into my current project.<span
 
    style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>Have a focus, storyboard, need to
 
    stick to key points, learning process, still working with Morita- trying
 
    to incorporate knowledge into the video.<span style="mso-spacerun:
 
    yes">&nbsp; </span>Big take aways--- have tension in the story, “the bomb
 
    event” how the character changes after that, be more visual-show versus
 
    tell.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>Sizzle vs. Inconvenient
 
    truth Arouse vs. fullfil.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>Set
 
    up acts 1. Set up world 2. Change<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;
 
    </span>3.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span><i><o:p></o:p></i></span></li>
 
<ul style='margin-top:0in' type=circle>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level2 lfo1;tab-stops:list 1.0in'>“This
 
      American Life” uses examples of bringing in policy material to a broader
 
      audience.<i><o:p></o:p></i></li>
 
</ul>
 
<li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level1 lfo1;tab-stops:list .5in'><b>Molly:<span
 
    style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span></b><span style='font-weight:normal'>Got
 
    two podcasts up on iTunes U.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;
 
    </span>Troubleshooting with GarageBand… locking tracks and jingles… too
 
    many tracks created a stuttering on her voice.<i><o:p></o:p></i></span></li>
 
<ul style='margin-top:0in' type=circle>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level2 lfo1;tab-stops:list 1.0in'>Had
 
      interesting idea for digital notebooks all offline.. Pilar had a good
 
      idea to use Pages to incorporate papers so that material isn’t online.<span
 
      style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>Wants to give the portfolio to a
 
      professor on a CD.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>Idea is
 
      to have a portfolio much like a magazine layout.<span
 
      style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>Using iDVD to show more
 
      multimedia focused portfolios.<i><o:p></o:p></i></li>
 
</ul>
 
<li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level1 lfo1;tab-stops:list .5in'><b>Bob:<span
 
    style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span></b><span style='font-weight:normal'>Met
 
    with Ann Flower on Tuesday for an informal conversation and is really excited
 
    about “how to rock the library”.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;
 
    </span><i><o:p></o:p></i></span></li>
 
<ul style='margin-top:0in' type=circle>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level2 lfo1;tab-stops:list 1.0in'>Focus
 
      group to rethink the library’s role… TLC and the library?<i><o:p></o:p></i></li>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level2 lfo1;tab-stops:list 1.0in'>Using
 
      sms to communicate and doesn’t have to be geographically loved down in a
 
      space near the printers…<i><o:p></o:p></i></li>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l1 level2 lfo1;tab-stops:list 1.0in'>Wants
 
      to have a conversation about research, how people research and how they
 
      can do it better?<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>Formal vs.
 
      informal reseach… <i><o:p></o:p></i></li>
 
</ul>
 
</ul>
 
 
 
<p class=MsoNormal><![if !supportEmptyParas]>&nbsp;<![endif]><o:p></o:p></p>
 
 
 
<p class=MsoNormal>Notes:<o:p></o:p></p>
 
 
 
<ul style='margin-top:0in' type=circle>
 
<li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l2 level1 lfo4;tab-stops:list .5in'>Priority
 
    for today is storage and iMovie getting wiped out!<o:p></o:p></li>
 
</ul>
 
 
 
<ul style='margin-top:0in' type=circle>
 
<li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level1 lfo2;tab-stops:list .5in'>iMovie
 
    workshop next week… helpful to tell people where to store their projects.<o:p></o:p></li>
 
<ul style='margin-top:0in' type=circle>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level2 lfo2;tab-stops:list 1.0in'>We
 
      need to have all computers be able to access the network for video 2 but
 
      folder has been faulty.<o:p></o:p></li>
 
</ul>
 
<li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level1 lfo2;tab-stops:list .5in'>What
 
    is the best solution?<o:p></o:p></li>
 
  <ul style='margin-top:0in' type=circle>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level2 lfo2;tab-stops:list 1.0in'>DeVan:<span
 
      style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>Explain the complication with
 
      iMovie 08 and 09 and external storage….<o:p></o:p></li>
 
  <ul style='margin-top:0in' type=square>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level3 lfo2;tab-stops:list 1.5in'>Involves
 
      the purchase of an external drive.<o:p></o:p></li>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level3 lfo2;tab-stops:list 1.5in'>iMovie
 
      09 can save projects to an external drive as long as it’s formatted in
 
      MacOS.<o:p></o:p></li>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level3 lfo2;tab-stops:list 1.5in'>Project
 
      and library can be saved on external…. The “event”.<o:p></o:p></li>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level3 lfo2;tab-stops:list 1.5in'>Problem:<span
 
      style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>When people don’t have an
 
      external drive.<o:p></o:p></li>
 
  <ul style='margin-top:0in' type=disc>
 
    <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level4 lfo2;tab-stops:list 2.0in'>When
 
        logged out of guest account, all project files are deleted.<o:p></o:p></li>
 
    <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level4 lfo2;tab-stops:list 2.0in'>Do
 
        we want to have people’s files saved?<o:p></o:p></li>
 
    <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level4 lfo2;tab-stops:list 2.0in'>Maintenance
 
        issue?<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>Machines getting
 
        bogged down with too many extra files.<o:p></o:p></li>
 
  </ul>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level3 lfo2;tab-stops:list 1.5in'>Alan:<span
 
      style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>Discusses with Pilar… a few
 
      flash drives to loan out as a last resort and giving people.<span
 
      style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span><o:p></o:p></li>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level3 lfo2;tab-stops:list 1.5in'>Can
 
      we create an account that doesn’t wipe out certain things? <o:p></o:p></li>
 
  <ul style='margin-top:0in' type=disc>
 
    <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level4 lfo2;tab-stops:list 2.0in'>Without
 
        additional software, how to do the auto-restore<o:p></o:p></li>
 
    <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level4 lfo2;tab-stops:list 2.0in'>Make
 
        an account that is a guest account with parental control<o:p></o:p></li>
 
    <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level4 lfo2;tab-stops:list 2.0in'>Short-term
 
        solution is to have a new guest account.<o:p></o:p></li>
 
    <ul style='margin-top:0in' type=circle>
 
    <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level5 lfo2;tab-stops:list 2.5in'>Put
 
        a limit of a month on the project and then after the month, the
 
        project will be wiped out.. <o:p></o:p></li>
 
    <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level5 lfo2;tab-stops:list 2.5in'>How
 
        do we log projects?<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>Can
 
        we follow-up?<o:p></o:p></li>
 
    <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level5 lfo2;tab-stops:list 2.5in'>Check
 
        to see when project was last modified?<o:p></o:p></li>
 
    </ul>
 
  </ul>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level3 lfo2;tab-stops:list 1.5in'>DeVan:<span
 
      style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>At some point need to be hands
 
      on with the machines in order to be aware of what’s on the machines and
 
      then wipe them out periodically…<o:p></o:p></li>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level3 lfo2;tab-stops:list 1.5in'>Video
 
      projects will be tied to one specific computer… create a 2-hr
 
      reservation system and bump people off machines? <o:p></o:p></li>
 
  <ul style='margin-top:0in' type=disc>
 
    <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level4 lfo2;tab-stops:list 2.0in'>Micro-management
 
        of space?<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>A self-managed
 
        thing?<o:p></o:p></li>
 
  </ul>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level3 lfo2;tab-stops:list 1.5in'>Talking
 
      to students and faculty about building in storage into the cost of
 
      school and explaining that media is large..<o:p></o:p></li>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level3 lfo2;tab-stops:list 1.5in'>We
 
      need to work toward a network solution<o:p></o:p></li>
 
  </ul>
 
</ul>
 
<li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level1 lfo2;tab-stops:list .5in'><b>The
 
    next step:</b><span style='font-weight:normal'><span style="mso-spacerun:
 
    yes">&nbsp; </span>Parental control managed account.<span
 
    style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>Jeremy and Molly will work on
 
    creating new guest accounts with parental controls on Monday… That
 
    computer will no longer delete everything on the computer.<o:p></o:p></span></li>
 
<ul style='margin-top:0in' type=circle>
 
  <li class=MsoNormal style='mso-list:l3 level2 lfo2;tab-stops:list 1.0in'>A
 
      step-by-step Google doc will be written so that we all know how the
 
      storage system works.<o:p></o:p></li>
 
</ul>
 
</ul>
 
 
 
<p class=MsoNormal><![if !supportEmptyParas]>&nbsp;<![endif]><o:p></o:p></p>
 
 
 
<p class=MsoNormal><![if !supportEmptyParas]>&nbsp;<![endif]><o:p></o:p></p>
 
 
 
<p class=MsoNormal><i><![if !supportEmptyParas]>&nbsp;<![endif]><o:p></o:p></i></p>
 
 
 
</div>
 
 
 
</body>
 
 
 
</html>
 

Latest revision as of 16:02, 7 April 2009


Digital Media Commons

The Teaching and Learning Collaborative

Meeting Minutes

Notes by: Ryan Gonzalez

Friday, April 3, 2009



Meeting Participants: Molly Ammons, DeVan Hankerson, Alan Lovewell, Pilar Chaves, Jeremy Robinson, Ryan Gonzalez, Bob Cole, Sarah Springer


   * New cabinet will need conduit for wiring (electrical and peripheral), to put the hard drive inside


Headlines:

   * DeVan:  Going through Wiki to find tutorials, changing the way it looks… identified things that needed to be migrated, etc.  Lorraine started a new project for the Clinton Global Initiative… weave ideas into DM for change class.
   * Alan:  Wed, Pilar talked about storage issue… make a print out, something to reference, something on a blog or a wiki… to give options and give students options for their own storage…
         o “flash drive will give you this much space, external hard drive will give you x…, etc.”
         o Facilitate students getting their own storage devices
   * Pilar:  Two highlights….the workshop went well (digital imaging)
         o Idea:  A weekend long bootcamp style video editing workshop like the storytelling workshop, etc?
         o Creativity and innovation class made some videos and was rewarding… Pilar has a copy of a video that Adam Rumack made.
         o Thru-you website… a whole album of mashups of musicians from all over youtube, combining
   * Jeremy:  Has been reading up on copyright and fair use, etc.  will incorporate into digital media etiquette class. 
         o Used Picassa and Photoshop express for the imaging workshop… gimp will come in 3 weeks.
         o Had 12 people at the workshop.
         o Jeremy used gimp to make logo for his running team’s shirts for the mud run. 
   * Ryan:  Storytelling workshop, notebook full of notes would like to type or scan in.  Lots ot good tips on storytelling, wants to incorporate what learned into my current project.  Have a focus, storyboard, need to stick to key points, learning process, still working with Morita- trying to incorporate knowledge into the video.  Big take aways--- have tension in the story, “the bomb event” how the character changes after that, be more visual-show versus tell.  Sizzle vs. Inconvenient truth Arouse vs. fullfil.  Set up acts 1. Set up world 2. Change  3. 
         o “This American Life” uses examples of bringing in policy material to a broader audience.
   * Molly:  Got two podcasts up on iTunes U.  Troubleshooting with GarageBand… locking tracks and jingles… too many tracks created a stuttering on her voice.
         o Had interesting idea for digital notebooks all offline.. Pilar had a good idea to use Pages to incorporate papers so that material isn’t online.  Wants to give the portfolio to a professor on a CD.  Idea is to have a portfolio much like a magazine layout.  Using iDVD to show more multimedia focused portfolios.
   * Bob:  Met with Ann Flower on Tuesday for an informal conversation and is really excited about “how to rock the library”. 
         o Focus group to rethink the library’s role… TLC and the library?
         o Using sms to communicate and doesn’t have to be geographically loved down in a space near the printers…
         o Wants to have a conversation about research, how people research and how they can do it better?  Formal vs. informal reseach…


Notes:

   * Priority for today is storage and iMovie getting wiped out!
   * iMovie workshop next week… helpful to tell people where to store their projects.
         o We need to have all computers be able to access the network for video 2 but folder has been faulty.
   * What is the best solution?
         o DeVan:  Explain the complication with iMovie 08 and 09 and external storage….
               + Involves the purchase of an external drive.
               + iMovie 09 can save projects to an external drive as long as it’s formatted in MacOS.
               + Project and library can be saved on external…. The “event”.
               + Problem:  When people don’t have an external drive.
                     # When logged out of guest account, all project files are deleted.
                     # Do we want to have people’s files saved?
                     # Maintenance issue?  Machines getting bogged down with too many extra files.
               + Alan:  Discusses with Pilar… a few flash drives to loan out as a last resort and giving people. 
               + Can we create an account that doesn’t wipe out certain things?
                     # Without additional software, how to do the auto-restore
                     # Make an account that is a guest account with parental control
                     # Short-term solution is to have a new guest account.
                           * Put a limit of a month on the project and then after the month, the project will be wiped out..
                           * How do we log projects?  Can we follow-up?
                           * Check to see when project was last modified?
               + DeVan:  At some point need to be hands on with the machines in order to be aware of what’s on the machines and then wipe them out periodically…
               + Video projects will be tied to one specific computer… create a 2-hr reservation system and bump people off machines?
                     # Micro-management of space?  A self-managed thing?
               + Talking to students and faculty about building in storage into the cost of school and explaining that media is large..
               + We need to work toward a network solution
   * The next step:  Parental control managed account.  Jeremy and Molly will work on creating new guest accounts with parental controls on Monday… That computer will no longer delete everything on the computer.
         o A step-by-step Google doc will be written so that we all know how the storage system works.