From Open Source Learning
- 1 Research Tools: Databases, Search Engines, & Other Starting Points for Finding Good Information
Research Tools: Databases, Search Engines, & Other Starting Points for Finding Good Information
Encyclopedias (for overviews & background information)
- Covers a range of topics affecting global warming and climate change.
- Includes entries on key individuals, polices, problems, processes, and theoretical concepts.
- Useful for a broader range of topics.
Finding Library Books
- The Library catalog, for books, government documents, videos, and other resources owned by Middlebury.
- "WorldCat.org lets you search the collections of libraries in your community and thousands more around the world" 
Library Databases for Finding Articles
- Interdisciplinary article index covering all subjects in over 10,000 academic-related journals and magazines (the majority with full-text). Includes all the content of Expanded Academic Index ASAP. Coverage: 1980 - present. Also includes New York Times full-text content back to 1995.
- 1985-present. Choose one or both components: Science Citation Index (SCI) or Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI).
- SCI is the best source for articles in core science and technology research journals, and it is very good in environmental science. SSCI covers core social science research journals. Search by keywords, authors, or cited articles. Special features include links to cited and related articles. Go shortcut = go/wos
- Indexes journals, books, and documents covering global public policy and social issues in all disciplines. 1972 - current. For 1915 -1976, switch to PAIS Archive (click on Databases Tab from within FirstSearch to add PAIS Archive. You can search both at once).
Lexis Nexis Environment TRIAL ACCESS (Limited Time - available only until Nov. 30th)
- Provides access to Environment Abstracts; news and full-text journals; US & state codes (laws), regulations, and cases.
Environment Index Access ends 10/31/08
- 1950's - present. Indexes 1,50http://www.example.com link title0 domestic & international journals (and some monographs). :Topics include: agriculture, ecosystem ecology, energy, natural resources, marine & freshwater science, geography, pollution & waste management, environmental technology, environmental law, public policy, social impacts, urban planning, and more.
- National Council for Science & the Environment (NCSE). Includes access to Environment & Energy Daily, Greenwire, and Land Letter. Includes current news stories, reports, legislative summaries, etc. related to environmental and energy policy.
- Index for over 600 journals (400+ full-text), books, documents, and working papers in the field of economics. 1969 - present. Go shortcut = go/econlit.
Web Search Engines for Finding Articles, Reports, Books and more
- Customized google search (only searches US gov't websites)
- Gateway for finding U.S. Government Information