Exchange 2010 Migration - Updating Entourage - Instructions
If you have any Entourage version other than Entourage 13, you will need to update Entourage. The update path varies, depending on the version that you currently have. See the next section to find the Entourage version number.
- The simplest but potentially most time consuming option is to use our latest Office 2008 "Combo" package. See the section Office 2008 Combo Package. Note that only faculty, staff and students from the regular academic year are eligible for this package.
- If you've been keeping up to date with Microsoft Office updates, you may want to use the section titled Manually Updating Entourage.
- 1 Find the Entourage version number
- 2 Backing up your Entourage data
- 3 Determining the Upgrade Path
- 4 The Office 2008 Combo Package
- 5 Manually Updating Entourage
- 6 Importing your Entourage data
- 7 When your mailbox has been moved...
- 8 Configuring Entourage 2008 (version 13)
Find the Entourage version number
To find what version of Entourage is installed on your computer:
- Open Entourage.
- In the upper left corner of the screen click on the menu titled Entourage.
- On the Entourage menu, click About Entourage.
- The version will be displayed near the top.
Please Note: If your Entourage is already at Version 13 or higher, please stop here, you are done!
Backing up your Entourage data
Note: You should quit all Microsoft Office programs before continuing.
- Click the Spotlight icon in the top right corner of your screen and type the words Microsoft Database Utility. Note: If you are running Office 2004, type just the words "Database Utility".
- In the list of search results, click on the Database Utility found. (if you did not close Entourage after checking your version you will be asked to quit office programs, click "quit office programs")
- In the window that appears select the most recent Main Identity and choose Rebuild Database, then click Continue.
Note: In addition to backing up your data, this process will also optimize your Entourage database. When you see in the box "your database was successfully rebuilt" click done, in the remaining box click quit and go to the next steps.
Determining the Upgrade Path
If you have Entourage Version 13 or higher, no further action needs to be taken. Your computer is ready for the migration.
If your version of Entourage is less than 13 (if you have Entourage 2004 or Entourage 12.0.0 to 12.2.6) then you have two choices:
- If you are on campus (or are off-campus but have adequate bandwidth to download a huge file) and have adequate space on your hard drive for a 2 GB file then continue with the section titled The Office 2008 Combo Package.
- If you are off campus and have a low bandwidth or don't have adequate space on your hard drive for a 2 GB file then go to the section titled Manually Updating Entourage.
The Office 2008 Combo Package
In a few steps, the combo package will install the latest version of Office 2008 and Entourage 13. Note that only faculty, staff and students from the regular academic year are eligible for this package. The drawback of this package is that it may take a long time to download (if you are on a slower network) and it takes a little longer to install. The advantage is that the package is fairly automated. If you prefer the faster download option, and have Entourage 12, follow the manual update instructions in the section titled Manually Updating Entourage.
- Open your web browser and visit http://go.middlebury.edu/files
- Login with your College credentials (your username and email password).
- Open the Software folder.
- Click on Office2008.dmg.
- Save this file on your computer by clicking on the Download/Upload menu and selecting Download.
- Your browser may open this file automatically. If it does not, please double-click the downloaded file.
- A window with the title Office2008 will open. Double-click the Office 2008.mpkg.
- Keep clicking Continue to start the installation process.
- Enter your computer password when prompted.
- The installation process will likely take 30-50 minutes.
When the installation is complete, skip to the section Import your Entourage data.
Do not follow the steps under Manually Updating Entourage.
Manually Updating Entourage
If you do not or cannot use the Office 2008 Combo Package, you will need to manually update Entourage. Depending on how much you've kept up with Microsoft's update, the manual process may be very short or quite long.
If you have any version between 12.0 and 12.2.4
First, you will need to upgrade your Entourage to 12.2.5 and then to 13.
- To update to version 12.2.5, open Entourage, click on the Help menu, and click on Check for Updates.
- A window titled Microsoft AutoUpdate will appear. In the lower right corner of that window click the button Check for Updates.
- After a brief delay the Microsoft AutoUpdate dialog box will list any available updates. Before clicking Install, you must quit all Microsoft Office programs, including Entourage.
- After all Microsoft Office programs have quit, click the Install button to install the updates. Note: During the update process you will be prompted for the password for your computer.
- Once the update is installed, restart your computer and run Microsoft AutoUpdate again. Keep following steps 2-5 until Microsoft AutoUpdate displays a message that there are no additional updates.
If you have Entourage versions between 12.2.5 and 12.2.6
- Download Entourage 13 from the following link:http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/C/20C4D3D0-C2B1-44F5-94B5-322BE47616D8/EWS-1305-EN.dmg
- Your web browser may open the Entourage 13 download automatically. If it does not, please double-click the downloaded file named EWS-1305-EN.dmg.
- A window titled Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition will appear. In that window, double-click the icon labeled Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition.mpkg
- Click Continue when you see the warning This package will run a program to determine if the software can be installed.
- The Entourage 13 installer window will appear. Keep clicking Continue in that window. Note: If you've followed the Microsoft AutoUpdate instructions above or if your Entourage version is at least 12.2.5, your computer does meet the minimum requirements and you can click Continue when you see the Compatibility Check section.
- Keep clicking Continue and enter your computer password when prompted. When the installation completes, click Finish to close the installer window.
Importing your Entourage data
After upgrading to Entourage 13, you must launch Entourage and import your Entourage data.
- Open Entourage. The Entourage Setup Assistant will open.
- Select the Import from a previous version of Entourage radio button then click the right arrow in the lower-right corner of the dialog box.
- Select the version of Entourage that you had prior to upgrading to 13. Click the right arrow in the lower-right corner to continue.
- You are asked to select the items that you'd like to import. Select all of the items listed and click the right arrow in the lower-right corner to continue.
- You will be prompted to select the Identity that you want to import. In most cases, the most recent Main Identity is the correct one. Click the right arrow in the lower-right corner to continue.
- You will see a warning that Entourage does not support syncing with all version of Exchange Server. Click OK as our server does support Entourage 13.
- In 5-10 minutes (or a bit more if you have a lot of e-mail) the import process will complete. Click Finish. You will most likely be prompted to for your email password and Entourage will resume its function.
Hint: in the event that your email does not update, it may be necessary to change the Exchange server to "https://mail.middlebury.edu" in the account settings. Tools - Accounts... - double-click the Middlebury account - Advanced tab - Exchange server field. After changing, click OK, enter password of needed, and check again for updated mail and mail folders.
When your mailbox has been moved...
When your mailbox has been moved, Entourage may not connect properly to your mailbox until the Exchange server name has been updated. If you cannot send and receive email, please check that "mail.middlebury.edu" is specified as the Exchange server, per the following instructions. You may need to accept the certificate for mail.middlebury.edu after changing this setting.
Tools - Accounts - open the "(Exchange)" account - click on the Advanced tab
Change server listed to "mail.middlebury.edu" and click OK.
Configuring Entourage 2008 (version 13)
If you do not have an existing account, or wish to set up an Exchange connection anew, please follow these instructions --- these are not complete, though --- if you find additional steps, please feel free to edit this page, or submit you questions or comments on the Discussion page.
- note: you may have best results when on campus, though VPN connection may suffice -- or, try the Manual Configuration steps below.
Enter "MIDD" as the domain, your username & password, click OK, then allow the account settings to be checked
After the account is set up, and the settings are verified, you should be all set to go.
If there was a problem with the above settings, you may want to confirm the settings are as below, or manually configure to match the below settings. Be sure to specify that it is an Exchange account -- or if you prefer to configure Entourage as an IMAP client, see https://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/wiki/LIS/POP,_IMAP,_SMTP_Clients