Installing Xfig on Mac OS X
Note: You need X11 which is standard on our Leopard image, but it's also on your Mac OS X install DVD.
For 10.6, best to install in profile in which it will be used. Alternatively, need to copy .profile from profile in which it is installed to end user's profile - and fix permissions on .profile for that user. This will allow launching xfig and related components to run properly from Terminal. This is a workaround, as need to launch from Terminal rather than X11, as documented below.
- Install the XCode tools from Apple.
- Install Fink from http://www.finkproject.org/
10.5 and earlier: an installer package is available in the Download section - run the package and follow the onscreen instructions
10.6 users need to follow the instructions here: http://www.finkproject.org/download/index.php?phpLang=en
- 10.6 Open terminal and type sudo /sw/bin/fink install xfig
Follow the on-screen instructions.
10.5 and ealier:
Install FinkCommander from http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net/ (a disk image is available in the Download section - open the disk image and drag and drop the FinkCommander.app in the Applications folder)
Open FinkCommander (don't run it from the disk image, run it from the Applications folder, where you copied it)
If you just got FinkCommander from the website and it already wants to update, you can ignore it.
In FinkCommander in the search box type xfig and hit enter. Highlight the highest version and on the "Source" menu click "Install" and follow the prompts on the screen. When that finishes, you should be all set.
- To test this, open Terminal(Applications => Utilities => Terminal) and type xfig (if that fails type /sw/bin/xfig -- see note at top - this may not be an appropriate workaround, as export applications may not run properly ) -- this will launch an application named X11 passing all the required parameters behind the scenes and you should see the Xfig window.
- Run this in Terminal
- If you run unto any issues, see:
Note that fink depends on my other sites, so if one of them is down, you may be unable to install xfig. Try later...