Need Help Finding a Book?
- If you already have a citation (author, title, date) to a book or you’re just starting to look for one, go to Find Books for advice on how to proceed.
- Can't find a book on the shelf? Please stop by any of the service desks in the libraries an let us know - we are here to help.
- Once an item has been marked missing in MIDCAT, you may order it via ILL.
If library materials are missing
Can't find it? Let us know!
Online: click here (the online form is also linked from each detailed book description within MIDCAT.
Email: Library Circulation at firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: Davis Family Library Circulation Desk 802-443-5494; Armstrong Library 802-443-5449
In person: Stop at one of the Circulation Desks in person. Check our hours here.
Check the listing in MIDCAT
Check the call number - simply follow the alpha-numeric sequence - we use the Library of Congress classification system; a special system for government documents, and a few "home-grown" local systems, to organize materials
Check the status:
- Available - should be available on the shelves; if not, please report it missing to Circulation staff
- Recently returned - may be behind the Circulation Desks awaiting re-shelving or in "recently returned" holding areas; please check with Circulation Desk staff; recently returned areas will be in random order; materials are generally re-shelved within 48 hours; longer during peak return periods
- New books - check new book displays (in random order)
- Missing - try ILL, or request a purchase
- In transit - may be in transit between the Libraries; click on the "place request" link to have it held for you
- In process - has been received and is being cataloged and labeled; click on the "place request" link to have it held for you; please let Circulation staff know if it is needed immediately
- On order - click on the "place request" link to have it held for you
Check the location - it could be shelved in the Armstrong (McCardell Bicentennial Hall) or the Davis Family Library.
- The location of the item will also indicate a specific collection of materials housed together in separate areas in each Library: Reference, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Oversize, Vermont Collection, Reserves, Media, Government Documents, Mini-scores, or Special Collections
- Reserves - shelved behind the Circulation Desks at each Library for short-term in-library use
If location indicates Davis Family Library, check the Library Map to make sure you're looking in the right place.
If the book is checked out
If the item you need for your research is checked out to another borrower, you may request from Interlibrary Loan
If the item you need is checked out and is unavailable through Interlibrary Loan, please contact Circulation Services to request a recall or a hold.
You won't need it sooner than the due date? Place a web request and it will be held for you when it is returned. Web hold requests may be placed through the online catalog or by logging in to the My MIDCAT page. Web requests will not shorten the due date or recall the item form the current borrower.
Not available through ILL or purchase request, and need it sooner than the due date listed? Please contact Circulation Services to request a recall. Recalled materials are due back 7 days from the date of recall.
Faculty, staff and students may also submit a purchase request
Recall, hold, and ILL services cannot be extended to guest borrowers
Once an item has been marked missing in MIDCAT, you may order it via ILL
Please email Library Circulation at email@example.com
Call the Davis Family Circulation Desk at 802-443-5494, the Armstrong Circulation Desk at x5449, or stop at any of the Circulation Desks in person during open hours.