Spelling and Grammar Checking with Office 2003 in English and Foreign Languages
With Microsoft Word 2003 for Windows, you may spell and grammar check in English and a variety of languages. You must select the foreign language dictionary desired before you can spell check with any languages other than English (U.S.). The procedure to follow is:
1. Select the text to be spell checked.
2. If foreign language spell checking is desired, select the foreign language dictionary to use.
3. Run the spell-checker.
Selecting the Foreign Language Dictionary
1. On the Tools menu, point to Language and select Set Language from the pop-up menu; the Language window will open (see right).
2. Use the scroll bar to find the language you wish to use.
3. Select the desired language from the list by clicking once on it to highlight it.
• If you are using your personal computer and want to consistently use the foreign language dictionary, click Default.
• Click Yes to confirm the change in default dictionary.
4. Click OK.
Running the Spelling and Grammar Checker
1. Select the text to be checked, if you don’t want to check your entire document.
2. From the Tools menu, select Spelling and Grammar. A dialog box like the one below appears (done in English for the sake of confusing the fewest people):
3. Incorrectly spelled words will appear in red type and a suggested replacement will be highlighted in the Suggestions box below.
• Click Change to replace a word with the highlighted suggested spelling. Click on alternate suggested spellings to highlight them.
• Click Ignore Once to accept an unrecognized spelling without adding it to your dictionary (most useful in labs where you cannot change the dictionaries).
• Click Add to Dictionary to accept an unrecognized spelling and add it to your custom dictionary.
4. If Check Grammar at the bottom of the Spelling and Grammar window is checked, a grammar check will be performed when the spell checker is finished.
• Click Ignore Once to accept the text as is.
• Click Change to insert the text from the Suggestions box.
Note: As you can see, the grammar checker is not infallible!
5. When the Spelling and Grammar checker is finished an informational message is displayed. Click OK.
Allowing Accented Uppercase Characters During a Spelling Check
If you have selected French as the desired language, you can set Word to accept and suggest accent marks for uppercase characters during a spelling check. To do this, perform the following steps:
1. From the Tools menu, select Options.
2. In the dialog box that appears, click on the Edit tab.
3. Click on the Enforce accented uppercase in French check box to insert a check in the box.
4. Click OK.