Troubleshooting Banner and BannerWeb
- 1 Banner INB (Internet Native Banner)
- 2 BannerWeb (aka Self-Service Access to Banner)
Banner INB (Internet Native Banner)
Internet Explorer is the recommended browser for Banner INB; only version 11 is supported.
INB Banner Toolbar is Missing or Hidden
Banner (INB) crashes while loading
- Remove toolbars: Go to Add/Remove Programs, remove all third-party toolbars (Google, Yahoo, Skype, etc.) from Internet Explorer and from Firefox, then try INB again. (Java updates, and updates of many other apps, try to install 3rd-party toolbars for you.)
- Remove Java and Oracle JInitiator. Under Add/Remove Programs, remove all instances of Oracle JInitiator; then re-install by installing the ActiveX control on the Production site. Also, remove all old versions of Java listed under Add/Remove Programs, and update Java to the latest supported version using the Java icon in the Control Panel.
- Try it on Firefox if IE still doesn't work. Visit firefox.com to install. When you go to INB -> Production in Firefox, it won't be able to find the plugin automatically; click "Manual Install" and it should bring you to the JInitiator install page. Important: Firefox should only be used as a temporary solution. We need to fully troubleshoot Internet Explorer and make it work successfully for our customers.
- Try making a new shortcut on desktop (right-click on the Desktop, click "New", then click "Shortcut", then paste the following):
"c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http://go.middlebury.edu/inb?prod(include the quotes and make sure it's ALL on one line -- including the go.middlebury part). There's a detailed article on Creating a Shortcut for INB. for whatever reason this works fine, but going to the college homepage then going to inb, fails. using a favorite shortcut/bookmark also fails.
There is a much more detailed article under Troubleshooting Banner INB Crashes.
Unable to use "Extract Data No Key" function
Problem: After running a query in INB and clicking on Help -> Extract Data No Key, nothing happens. Usually an Excel spreadsheet is generated containing the results of the query.
Solution: Add *.middlebury.edu to trusted sites without the HTTPS prefix.
INB and Windows Live Toolbar
BannerWeb (aka Self-Service Access to Banner)
- Reset the PIN using your security question: From http://go.middlebury.edu/bannerweb, supply your 8-digit ID number then click the Forgot PIN? button. If the security question is answered correctly you may specify a new 6-digit PIN.
- If both the ID and PIN are unknown, please call the Technology Helpdesk during regular business hours (M-F, 8:15 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Time) at 802.443.2200 for assistance.
Disabled (Locked out)
If the wrong PIN is entered too many times, the user's BannerWeb account is disabled (locked) to prevent further activity. The security question reset method cannot be used; users must call the Technology Helpdesk at 802.443.2200 during regular business hours (M-F, 8:15 am to 5:00 pm EDT) for assistance.
After confirming the caller's identity, the account will be unlocked and a PIN reset can be performed.
BannerWeb page cannot be displayed
Unless there is a known campus-wide BannerWeb outage, here is a setting adjustment to check for Internet Explorer users:
- Click on Tools => Options => Click the Advanced Tab
- Make sure TLS and SSL3 are checked.
BannerWeb Registration Error Messages
If there are any problems adding courses to your schedule via BannerWeb, an error message will appear. No error message will go away until you do something to resolve it. If you do not understand the error message, please send an email to email@example.com.
reviewed 3/31/17 ccps