From MIIS Wiki
- 1 Overview of Midd Process
- 2 MIIS relationship to Midd Process
- 3 Plan B
- 4 Tasks
Overview of Midd Process
- Homegrown IA
- Outsourced design
- Considering Drupal
- Surveying the community to determine what the community needs from website
- Determine issues with the existing website
- Parallel effort on both campuses
MIIS relationship to Midd Process
- Common design, MIIS I/A, common platform, hosted @ Middlebury
- no staff to support open-source application such as Drupal @ MIIS, Middlebury or someone else would be hosting & providing support
- Common design, MIIS I/A, common platform, hosted elsewhere
- Common design, MIIS I/A, different platform, hosted elsewhere
- Timing - if Midd isn't ready to launch by late summer, MIIS needs to move forward.
- Target date: next recruiting season
- Cost - an issue. Funds are budgeted (built into academic excellence plan)
- Learning curve - will there be a learning curve for those who have to enter site content?
- Retain current design, platform, hosting relationship
- Move content from individual school sites into "portal" site, streamline navigation
- Not a very elegant solution
Develop requirements document
- Current students
- Students who have not yet arrived
- Focus groups
- Groups for each of our identified audiences
- One wild card group w/mixed audiences
- Interviews with key stakeholders
- Prospective students (esp. international students & their parents)
- Current students (expected to increase with implementation of Banner)
Consider Moodle vs. main website
- How will each site be used?
- What content will be contained where?
Aggregate multimedia items
- Provide a space to list all podcasts, videos, etc.
- Serve as a portal for content on Facebook, iTunes U, Yelp, Flickr, etc.
- Support RSS feeds that users can include in 3rd party apps
- Support delivery to mobile devices
Implement robust calendar system
- UCBerkeley has a great example
- Allow students to subscribe to event feeds relative to them
Support current students
- Login protected current students section
- Job listings
- Class schedules
Translate key pages
- Offer main page + main admissions page in several languages
- Korean, Japanese, German, Russian, etc.
- Will be welcoming to international students
- Will help show up in more Google search results in various languages